Indonesian
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Indonesia
Dear teachers

Which one is more correct ?
Chain bookstore or bookstore chain ?

The Daily Show On How Chain Bookstores Can Compete With The Internet | TechCrunch see "chain bookstore" phrase in the title

Books-A-Million, Now Second Largest Bookstore Chain In U.S., Also Pulls 100 DC Graphic Novels In Response To Kindle Fire Deal | Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors see "bookstore chain" in the title

Both article are probably written by native speakers
What is the difference ?

Many thanks

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

A chain bookstore is part of a bookstore chain. That is to say, the chain bookstore is the franchisee, while the bookstore chain is the franchise itself.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Duiter:

May I add my two cents to Vic's excellent answer?

1. Here in the United States, bookstores are disappearing. I think that the biggest bookstore chain (chain of bookstores) is Barnes & Noble. Many Americans, however, are no longer going to chain bookstores (bookstores that belong to a chain). So many bookstores chains have gone out of business.

2. We also have grocery store chains (chains of grocery stores/ supermarkets). I regularly patronize at least two chain supermarkets near my home.

a. Some people do not patronize chain supermarkets. They prefer to do their shopping at mom and pop stores. That is,

a business that is NOT part of a chain. It is just one store owned by one family. Some people feel that the service is

more personal. On the other hand, the prices are often higher than in the chain supermarkets, for supermarket chains

have the buying power to offer lower prices.

3. As you know, the most famous coffee house chain is Starbucks. Every morning many people start the day off with a
trip to their local chain coffee house because they feel that they need to start the day off with some "joe" or "java."

Sincerely,

James

Status
Not open for further replies.