• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Recalled=dismissed?

North Korea's Korean Central News Agency reports today:

Choe Hui Jong was recalled from the post of chairman of the Budget Committee of the SPA and Kwak Pom Gi elected chairman of the budget committee.

----------------------------------------------------

Not quite understanding the word 'recall' in the context, I went to read its Chinese version, which says Choe Hui Jong was dismissed from the post. Is it common for people to use the word 'recall' to mean 'dismiss'?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Recalled=dismissed?

Had it only said "recalled" without the further information further on, I would have said that he had been (possibly temporarily) removed from the post. However, the fact that someone else has now been elected to the post means that Choe Hui Gong has indeed been permanently removed. I'm not sure I would necessarily use "dismissed" as that terminology fits better with a paid position in a private company.

If he has been given a different position, you could say he "Choe Hui Jong was moved/transferred from his post of chairman of the Budget Committee to secretary of the Employment Committee".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by LiuJing View Post
    North Korea's Korean Central News Agency reports today:

Choe Hui Jong was recalled from the post of chairman of the Budget Committee of the SPA and Kwak Pom Gi elected chairman of the budget committee.

----------------------------------------------------

Not quite understanding the word 'recall' in the context, I went to read its Chinese version, which says Choe Hui Jong was dismissed from the post. Is it common for people to use the word 'recall' to mean 'dismiss'?
    I can't claim to be well up on North Korean politics, but I wonder where the 'Budget Committee of the SPA' is... British people who are recalled tend to be working abroad.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In certain states in the US you can have a "recall" election to remove a particularly offensive politician before his term expires. Gray Davis was recalled as governor of California in 2003. Labor unions tried to recall Wisconsin governor Scott Walker earlier this year, but the effort was unsuccessful.