Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
this the first time I post in this forum
I'm from Iran
My name is: Khashayar Najafi Nia
"Khashayar" is my first name and "Najafi Nia" is my last name. In Persian script "Najafi Nia" is written separately "نجفی نیا". I have a problem in academic publications. Sometimes my name is written like "K. N. Nia" and I think they consider "Najafi" as my middle name! The question is that what should I do and how should I write it?
I don't have a problem in other online websites like yahoo, facebook or google, and they display my name correctly but in academic sites like pubmed.com you can't use your full name and you should use abbreviations.
Should I write "Najafi-Nia"? Or "Najafi Nia" is the right way?
Thanks for your help!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi
this the first time I post in this forum
I'm from Iran
My name is: Khashayar Najafi Nia
"Khashayar" is my first name and "Najafi Nia" is my last name. In Persian script "Najafi Nia" is written separately "نجفی نیا". I have a problem in academic publications. Sometimes my name is written like "K. N. Nia" and I think they consider "Najafi" as my middle name! The question is that what should I do and how should I write it?
I don't have a problem in other online websites like yahoo, facebook or google, and they display my name correctly but in academic sites like pubmed.com you can't use your full name and you should use abbreviations.
Should I write "Najafi-Nia"? Or "Najafi Nia" is the right way?
Thanks for your help!

Even though it may not be reflected in your own language/script, I think the only way to (almost) ensure that both Najafi and Nia are shown after your first name or first initial, you may have to write it as "Najafi-Nia".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Using Najafi-Nia may help solve the problem- we have hyphenated surnames in English too, so editors will be able to identify with it more readily. I would not associate K.N. Nia and K. Najafi Nia, but I would associate K. Najafi Nia and K. Najafi-Nia.

Khashayar_2513

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks for your help! :-D So it seems to me that its better to use najafi-nia! A friend told me that in english these kinds of names are called double-barrelled names and they are written with a hypen.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So it seems to me that it's better to use najafi-nia. NO – Najafi-Nia.

A friend told me that in English these kinds of names are called double-barrelled names and they are written with a hyphen.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.