Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Marina Gaidar's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Jun 2012
    • Posts: 274
    #1

    Children are playing in the shadow of the trees.

    If I mention these children and these trees, how should I use the articles? "Children are playing in the shadow of the trees" or "Children are playing in shadow of trees" (sounds awkward) or "Children are playing in shadow of the trees"?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,592
    #2

    Re: Children are playing in the shadow of the trees.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marina Gaidar View Post
    If I mention these children and these trees, how should I use the articles? "Children are playing in the shadow of the trees" or "Children are playing in shadow of trees" (sounds awkward) or "Children are playing in shadow of the trees"?
    I would say "(The) children are playing in the shade of the trees".

  3. Marina Gaidar's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Jun 2012
    • Posts: 274
    #3

    Re: Children are playing in the shadow of the trees.

    God, I haven't finished my thought, sorry! I wanted to say "If I mention these children and these trees for the first time and they are not definite". Should I still use "the"? Sorry for misinforming you

  4. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #4

    Re: Children are playing in the shadow of the trees.

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I would say "(The) children are playing in the shade of the trees".
    Children might play 'in the shadows of the trees' if they were playing something like Hopscotch, using interlacing shadows as the markings. But this is pretty unlikely - I only mention it to show how 'shadow' refers to a particular visual object.

    b

  5. Marina Gaidar's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Jun 2012
    • Posts: 274
    #5

    Re: Children are playing in the shadow of the trees.

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Children might play 'in the shadows of the trees' if they were playing something like Hopscotch, using interlacing shadows as the markings. But this is pretty unlikely - I only mention it to show how 'shadow' refers to a particular visual object.

    b
    Ok! You've saved me from embarrassment

Similar Threads

  1. playing 'poorly' versus playing 'badly'.
    By learning54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-Jun-2012, 08:18
  2. prefer playing the drum to (playing) the piano.
    By Tan Elaine in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-Jun-2011, 20:15
  3. a girl's shadow/the shadow of a girl
    By Verona_82 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Nov-2010, 23:22
  4. Lots of trees/a lot of trees/plenty of trees
    By Shawnock in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Mar-2009, 07:16
  5. the lord had the gardener(plant) trees(get) shadow
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Mar-2008, 19:29

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •