Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, I'm a native English speaker from America. I'm almost done with my Bachelor's but it's in linguistics with an editing and a French emphasis rather than TESOL. I want to teach English somewhere, preferably to children, but I'm not really sure where to go. I think France would be a good option, especially since I'm semi-fluent in French. I just don't where to start to look for a job or how to go about teaching the language if I do manage to find one. Though I haven't taken any courses on how to teach English, I think my linguistics/editing courses give me a pretty good idea of how to explain things.

Does anyone know where I could find a job teaching English even though I don't have any former experience with it? Again, I'd really like to teach children, preferably in France. I want to be able to teach some time next year (since it's probably a little late to do anything this year). Any advice would be fantastic. Thank you!

--Brinck

Sondre

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Jamaica
Current Location
France
Try the Fusac online magazine want ads and check out the US and French Embassies online, they have a one year exchange program. Good luck

MartinEnglish

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I feel like a terrible gloomer saying this but when I did my teaching course (in the distant past) we were given a little talk at the end where they said how, with our new qualification, "we'd be able to work easily anywhere in world - except France of course"! It seemed to be a given that the French system makes it very difficult for non-French citizens to get teaching positions there.
That said, there must be academies there which DO need native teachers. I just wanted to warn you that you might be picking the most difficult place to go. Have you thought about Spain or Germany? I taught in both for 7 years with plenty of Americans!

Status
Not open for further replies.