[Grammar] Is neither same as 'not ~ either'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparse lotus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm not a native speaker of English.
I urgently want to know whether the following sentences are correct or natural.

1) Though she has never been either to England or America, she is good at English.

2) Though she has never been either to England or to America, she is good at English.

3) Though she has ever been neither to England nor to America, she is good at English.

4) Though she has never been to either England or America, she is good at English.

5) Though she has never been neither to England or America, she is good at English.

6) Though she has never been neither to England nor to America, she is good at English.

7) Though she has never been either to England nor to America, she is good at English

1) is on my English test as a wrong answer. So, I've thought 3), 4) &7) as correct sentences for 1).
Because 'never' is 'ever not', 'neither' is 'not either' and 'never' can't affect 'either' after preposition 'to'.

Please, help me to get appropriate sentences.
Thank you for reading!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I'm not a native speaker of English.
I urgently want to know whether the following sentences are correct or natural.

1) Though she has never been either to England or America, she is good at English.

2) Though she has never been either to England or to America, she is good at English.

3) Though she has ever been neither to England nor to America, she is good at English.

4) Though she has never been to either England or America, she is good at English.

5) Though she has never been neither to England or America, she is good at English.

6) Though she has never been neither to England nor to America, she is good at English.

7) Though she has never been either to England nor to America, she is good at English

1) is on my English test as a wrong answer. So, I've thought 3), 4) &7) as correct sentences for 1).
Because 'never' is 'ever not', 'neither' is 'not either' and 'never' can't affect 'either' after preposition 'to'.

Please, help me to get appropriate sentences.
Thank you for reading!

#4 is OK.

sparse lotus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
#4 is OK.

Thank you so much!

Your posting was pretty fast!

And I could get your answer through E-mail as soon as you uploaded your comment.

However, I didn't have enough time to show my gratitude to you.

So I'm afraid that my late reply hurt your feelings.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your thanks are appreciated, sparse lotus, but you don't need to send them in a separate post or to quote our replies back to us.

We are all happy to accept a simple click on the Like button as your acknowledgement of our help.

Rover:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.