Help!

How do you teach English to people who don't want to learn???
    I've been teaching Business English to employees of a big company for over 3 months now. I have a problem with one of my groups: nothing seems to get to them. They keep talking about problems at the factory, keep telling me every 5 minutes that it's time to go home, or play on their mobile phone, yawn... Bored? Probably. I've tried role play; they don't like it. Games? What a waste of time! Case studies? Not interested. And I won't even mention grammar. Oh, and they never forget to remind me that they are tired, sleepy and hungry or that they are angry because they have to come to the English class. I've taught English to adults before, but I've never encountered such attitude!!! Can you please advise on this ASAP? What activities could I try? How can I get their full attention? And how can they learn a foreign language without individual study at home?
    Thank you for reading me! Looking forward to your help!

Wink Re: Help!

Hi Reka,
    Have you tried to get your - students- to formulate their problems in English, the British business culture can be quite brusque! Maybe they would like to vent their frustrations by trying some of the English variations
    Regards

Re: Help!

What exactly do you mean by getting them to formulate their problems in English? What problems are you referring to?

Welcome, kiss_reka.

How do you teach English to people who don't want to learn?
    Ask yourself what would inspire you to want to participate if you were a student in that class.

I have a problem with one of my groups: nothing seems to get to them. They keep talking about problems at the factory, keep telling me every 5 minutes that it's time to go home, or play on their mobile phone, yawn... Bored? Probably.
    You're not alone. I experienced similar groups while teaching in Japan's industrial sector. It's true: the workers are tired, they are hungry, and, yes, they have no want or need or desire to learn English. It's their employer's need, want, and desire. Hint: get to know your students. Who are they and what do they expect from you? Ask them. Start communicating! Even if it's in one word phrases, it's a start. Romania wasn't build in a day.

You may want to try a few classroom rules; e.g., turn off your cell phones, English only, etc. If all else fails, approach their immediate supervisor and/or your company. If that's not an option, try relating to them. Woodhouse's suggestion: get them talking in English about why they are hungry, tired, and have to learn English. Ask them what they do at work, what they do after work, what are they going to eat tonight after class, what time do they usually go to bed, get up, how many hours do they work each day. Base your grammar and vocabulary around "their problems" about having to study English, late at night, after work.

Good luck.

Hi Casiopea
    Romania wasn't build in a day.
    And there`s me thinking it was Rome, oh well "et two brutae"
    The idea behind it all is to create synergies. For the good of all. Now what about the in-fighting! How do the Romanian employees go about getting what they want or need. Reka...attempt to get them to do it in English. Try to explain the British way of doing business and to what extent would the Romanian way differ...
    Good Luck
    Mick/Woodhouse

kiss-reka is located in "Romania".