• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

If only

Don't be suprised we were so upset about Ben. There (have) no news of him since he (go) hiking in the area of the quake. After his return, I told him it's time he (start) (care) about other people's feelings. If only he (send) us a postcard!
    The answers are: has been, went, started, caring, sent. I don't know why I should use 'sent', then it refers to the present not to the past, and the first sentence says: 'we were so upset about Ben'. Is it incorrect to say: had sent?
    Last edited by barnej0096; 30-Sep-2012 at 11:26.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: If only

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

I only wanted to gently remind you that in American English, the word "news" is considered singular.

Thus, "There has been no news of him." (No news has been of him.)

Here is a reportedly true story:

Many years ago, a famous American newspaper owner insisted on using "news" as a plural word. One day, he sent a message

to his office that read something like this: "Are there any news?" Someone in his office answered: "Not a new."

James

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by barnej0096 View Post
    Don't be suprised we were so upset about Ben. There (have) no news of him since he (go) hiking in the area of the quake. After his return, I told him it's time he (start) (care) about other people's feelings. If only he (send) us a postcard!

The answers are: has been, went, started, caring, sent. I don't know why I should use 'sent', then it refers to the present not to the past, and the first sentence says: 'we were so upset about Ben'. Is it incorrect to say: had sent?

Why do you think that "sent" would refer to the present, not the past? "Send" is the present tense and "sent" is the simple past. However, I agree with you that "If only he had sent us a postcard" is the correct form (in BrE).
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

Because 'if only' has the same structure as 'I wish'. I can say: 'I wish/If only I had a lot of money' = means I'd like to have a lot of money now. But I can say 'I wish/If only I had had a lot of money when I was a child' = then it refers to the past.