• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

inflation

As inflation is expected to prevail in the Mainland, the elderly one day will find it is unfordable to live in cities in Guangdong.

In the first part of the sentence, I want to convey the message of " no matter it is a percentage increase or decrease in the inflation rates, inflation is a expected trend in the mainland ". Can I convey such message in the first part of the sentence? Can the underlined phrase be substituted by "to be a continuous trend" or "to soar"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: inflation

Quote Originally Posted by KSSEEJ View Post
    As inflation is expected to prevail in ("on" in BrE) the mainland, the elderly one day will find it is unaffordable to live in cities in Guangdong.

In the first part of the sentence, I want to convey the message of " no matter it is a percentage increase or decrease in the inflation rates, inflation is a expected trend in the mainland ". Can I convey such message in the first part of the sentence? Can the underlined phrase be substituted by "to be a continuous trend" or "to soar"?
    I still can't post links for some reason, but it works given this definition: "Be widespread in a particular area at a particular time; be current ie "an atmosphere of crisis prevails".

The only problem I have with your sentence is that I don't see how it can be of no matter if it is a percentage increase or decrease in the inflation rates, if inflation is going to make it unaffordable. If there is a percentage decrease in the rate of inflation, then it should become more affordable.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.