• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Rightly so

Brando said: "You've seen every single race besmirched, but you never saw an image of thekike because the Jews were ever so watchful for that—and rightly so. They never allowed it to be shown on screen. The Jews have done so much for the world that, I suppose, you get extra disappointed because they didn't pay attention to that.

1) What does "rightly so" mean here? Does it mean "Jews were right in being so watchful" ?

2) I can't understand the sentence in blue. What does it mean?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Rightly so

Quote Originally Posted by david11 View Post
    Brando said: "You've seen every single race besmirched, but you never saw an image of thekike because the Jews were ever so watchful for that—and rightly so. They never allowed it to be shown on screen. The Jews have done so much for the world that, I suppose, you get extra disappointed because they didn't pay attention to that.

1) What does "rightly so" mean here? Does it mean "Jews were right in being so watchful" ? Yes.

2) I can't understand the sentence in blue. What does it mean?
    "rightly so" means that: it is good, it is correct, it is the right thing, it is just, it is fair. The key to understanding this text is to be found in the word "kike". "kike" is a derogative term for members of the Jewish faith. Brando is saying that Jews were alert and did not allow such a negative image of Jews to be shown. It's unclear of what "that" means in the last sentence. I suppose that the reference is to some sort of negative image which was shown - more context is needed to verify this. It is also important to know that the American film industry was largely controlled by Jews for many years. Many of the major investors, producers, and directors of American movies were Jews. It seems that the popular view of America was presented to the world by Jews.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: Rightly so

Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    It's unclear of what "that" means in the last sentence. I suppose that the reference is to some sort of negative image which was shown - more context is needed to verify this. It is also important to know that the American film industry was largely controlled by Jews for many years. Many of the major investors, producers, and directors of American movies were Jews. It seems that the popular view of America was presented to the world by Jews.
    Yes, it is unclear but that was what I found even in the original source(Wikipedia). I guess(after reading it a lot of times) he means "Jews have done a lot to this world(like they have contributed to film industry, as you said) but it is disappointing that they(people) are not paying attention that(their contribution).

I am not sure whether it is correct but what is given in Wikipedia(what I quoted) is so ambiguous.