[Grammar] I hadn't met her since we had broken up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Have you ever seen or used anything like the structure of these sentences? I know that "I haven't met her since we broke up." is correct, but I am not sure of the others.

1) I hadn't met her since we broke up or 2) I hadn't met her since we had broken up.

If the past form of "have met" is " had met" and the past form of "broke up" is "had broken up", I think that the #2 sentence is possible.

What do you teachers think? Thank you as usual and have a good day.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Have you ever seen or used anything like the structure of these sentences? I know that "I haven't met her since we broke up." is correct, but I am not sure of the others.

1) I hadn't met her since we broke up or 2) I hadn't met her since we had broken up.

If the past form of "have met" is " had met" and the past form of "broke up" is "had broken up", I think that the #2 sentence is possible.

What do you teachers think? Thank you as usual and have a good day.

We generally only use the past perfect when is warranted. (You can look up the rules).
You can say, "I hadn't met her since we broke up until I ran into her in the market."
There are three events in the past: meeting her, breaking up, running into her at the market.
You can't use "I hadn't met her since we broke up" without some other event in the past that happened after breaking up. That event is supplied in my extended sentence (running into her).
2. is a sentence out of control.

Last edited:

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you so much and you mean 2) I hadn't met her since we had broken up is not correct?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you so much and you mean 2) I hadn't met her since we had broken up is not correct?
Well, it could possibly be correct, but it's very convoluted. The use of the past perfect depends on the context more than most tenses do. If you can supply a context that warrants sentence 2. according to the rules of using the past perfect, then it's OK to use. It would be a very unusual sentence, and an unusual context, and almost everyone would choose to express it in some other way.

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The sentence is confusing because the form of "had p.p" can be from the past form of "has/have p.p" and the more past form of "past tense verbs". Don't you think so? I am sorry about taking your time.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The sentence is confusing because the form of "had p.p" can be from the past form of "has/have p.p" and the more past form of "past tense verbs". Don't you think so? I am sorry about taking your time.
Yes, it's confusing, and I doubt you'd find it spoken by a native.

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
No, I just imagined the sentence. Thank you and you agree that the form of "had p.p" can be from the past form of "has/have p.p" and the more past form of "past tense verbs".?

Status
Not open for further replies.