1. anonymous08

please correct my sentences

i've just seen your pictures and you really looked handsome there. I thought it wasn't you coz you looked so young just like an 18 year-old boy.(just kidding!).

dont laugh at my wrong sentences. im just trying to practice my english.hope you understand...

anyway, always take care of yourself. dont skip your meals ok..

have a nice working day!

Re: please correct my sentences

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous08
    i've just seen your pictures and you really looked handsome there. I thought it wasn't you coz you looked so young just like an 18 year-old boy.(just kidding!).
    dont laugh at my wrong sentences. im just trying to practice my english.hope you understand...
    anyway, always take care of yourself. dont skip your meals ok..
    have a nice working day!
    Hi,
    I don't think that there are huge mistakes in your sentences. And I don't laugh at your sentences either. As far as I'm concerned, you are doing a very good job.
    I would put the word "really" between looked and handsome. Personaly, I would change the tense of looked. I would go for the simple present there because You look very handsome there and he looks like a 18 year old boy on those pictures.

Take care & Kind regards

thank you very much for correcting me. im so happpy coz i know now my mistakes and my english has been improving...

can i ask one more thing why i shouldn't use the word "looked" in my sentence? Actually i've been in trouble understanding the different tenses, especially thte perfect tenses.how do they differ like in my case "you looked" and "you look".?these things seem confusing to me. can you explain to me in a simple way that i can understand it well.

thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by mineya
    thank you very much for correcting me. im so happpy coz i know now my mistakes and my english has been improving...
    can i ask one more thing why i shouldn't use the word "looked" in my sentence? Actually i've been in trouble understanding the different tenses, especially thte perfect tenses.how do they differ like in my case "you looked" and "you look".?these things seem confusing to me. can you explain to me in a simple way that i can understand it well.
    thank you again!
    Hi mineya,

Anytime

a perfect tense is always with 'to have + past tense of the verb'

eg: I have seen that movie this year/before.
    eg: He hasn't read that book yet.

eg: I saw that movie last year.
    eg: He read that book yesterday.

You use the simple past for events which are completely over. Look at the time indications at the end of the examples. 'Last year' = completely over so no link with the 'now'
    The same thing for 'yesterday', it's completely over.

Why Present perfect here instead of Past ? You talk about an event that started in the past but that has a link with the 'now'. The link is here the time indication at the end of the sentence. There are certain time indications which always ask to use the Present perfect.

I haven't seen that movie this year/before/yet ... This year = this year started some weeks ago but it isn't over yet, it is still 'this year' at this very moment = 'now'

Before: In this case 'before' refers to the past and is until now, the moment of speaking.

note: did see or didn't see = past tense! Always put the infinitive behind "did" NEVER SAW OR SEEN

"looked" = Simple Past
    "look" = Simple Present

I think in your sentences it is better to go for the simple present 'look' than the simple past 'looked' because you are talking about the pictures. The "look" is not a real verb here. And because these pictures are an everlasting thing. He looks younger on those pictures no matter what. It is all about the context as well.

Questions left ? please feel free to ask!

Kind Regards
    Last edited by Johan[@CLT]; 13-Jan-2006 at 00:35.

thank you so much! i have another questions.what about the past perfect and future perfect?when they can be used?and can you give an example and explanation..and can you explain the difference between has been and have been;
    for example:
    we have been chosen aira and rochelle to stand beside me(could you explain to me why "have been chosen" not "have chosen")

and one more thing,can you correct my sentences if there are mistakes so that i will know and i can learn from them..

thank you for helping me..

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

we have been chosen aira and rochelle to stand beside me(could you explain to me why "have been chosen" not "have chosen
    This is incorrect- it should be 'have chosen'. If you wanted the passive:
    Aira and Rochelle have been chosen to stand...
    Future perfect- something completed by a time in the future:
    I will have finished the work before you get back.
    Past perfect- something completed by a time in the past:
    I had finished everything before they arrived