• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

past perfect tense

teacher, are there any grammar errors in these sentences? In the last sentence, is it correct to say "she had not been able to get it back."

She says she is a casual golfer and therefore she has never belonged to any golf club. She told us that in May of last year, she left her golf bag containing her golf clubs, in a rental golf car and when she went back to the golf car, her bag was gone and she had not been able to get it back.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: past perfect tense

Quote Originally Posted by thomas615 View Post
    teacher, are there any grammar errors in these sentences? In the last sentence, is it correct to say "she had not been able to get it back."

She says she is a casual golfer and therefore she has never belonged to any golf club. She told us that in May of last year, she left her golf bag containing her golf clubs, in a rental golf car and when she went back to the golf car, her bag was gone and she had not been able to get it back.
    Yes, that is the correct way to say it.

A small tip, I'd refrain from constantly saying 'she'. You've made it very evident in the context you are referring to a 'she'. The overuse seems to be repetitive.
    I'm not a teacher yet, but I am studying a Bachelor of Education with an English Literature major at Charles Sturt University, in NSW, Australia.