Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
1) I know that a conventional way of saying it would be - This is us.

But I'd like to find out if - these are we - could be acceptable upon a certain context.

2) The same issue goes up to this construction as well

There is us over there. (why not?) There are us/we over there.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I've been struggling to think of contexts in which any of those expressions sound natural.

The only one I can think of is this:

I'm showing my holiday photos to a friend. I point to one say 'This is us jet-skiing in Tenerife'.

Rover

Last edited:

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
I've been struggling to think of contexts in which any of those expressions sound natural.

The only one I can think of is this:

I'm showing my holiday photos to a friend. I point to one say 'This is us jet-skiing in Tenerife'.

Rover

Thanks for the answer. "This is us" is used quite often, at least, I can find it on the net a lot. The problem rests with These are we as this sentence is more grammatically correct than This is us, however, this is us is idiomatic. This is why I wanted to get your insight on this matter. Seems like the good grammar is abandoned for the sake of idiomaticness which is not so much correct by the grammatical standards.

As for your example, wouldn't you use These are we/us if there were more photos than one?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am unable to think of a situation where "These are we" or "These are us" would ever be used.

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
I am unable to think of a situation where "These are we" or "These are us" would ever be used.

The only example I have found so far is this

We are talking about 'abuse and the abuser' and the sub-personalities; all of these give us an excuse not to own them. We have to know that these are us, we created them and they are not separate from us.

Whould you also say in this sentence this is us?

I still wonder if you had 5 photos depicting you and someone else wouldn't you say: "These are us" pointing at the photos arranged
in column on a table .

Status
Not open for further replies.