• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

what do these numbers mean?

I know expressions like "The new apartment is twice as large as the old one" or "The new apartment is twice the size of the old one".

Then if there is no one to compare with, as the title indicates, "Twice as Many Mobile News Readers Prefer Browsers to Apps", how to understand "twice as many" in the sentence?

Another example:"News organizations have invested significantly in native apps for iOS, Android, WP7 and even, for a time, webOS yet nearly three times as many tablet owners and twice as many smartphone users access news primarily through browsers rather than apps." How many tablet owners and how many smartphone users are mentioned here?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: what do these numbers mean?

Quote Originally Posted by chance22 View Post
    I know expressions like "The new apartment is twice as large as the old one" or "The new apartment is twice the size of the old one".

Then if there is no one to compare with, as the title indicates, "Twice as Many Mobile News Readers Prefer Browsers to Apps", how to understand "twice as many" in the sentence?

Another example:"News organizations have invested significantly in native apps for iOS, Android, WP7 and even, for a time, webOS — yet nearly three times as many tablet owners and twice as many smartphone users access news primarily through browsers rather than apps." How many tablet owners and how many smartphone users are mentioned here?
    You can't extrapolate the numbers themselves but:

Twice as many mobile news readers prefer browsers to apps = If 10 people read the news via an app, then 20 people read the news via their browser.

I'm still trying to work out the maths for the last one as they have combined browser/app comparison with tablet/smartphone users.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: what do these numbers mean?

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Twice as many mobile news readers prefer browsers to apps = If 10 people read the news via an app, then 20 people read the news via their browser.

Thank emsr2d2 very much for the quick reply. So, it seems there is always something to compare with. I can interpret the first sentence as: There are twice as many mobile news readers who prefer browsers as those who prefer apps. Is it right? And I'm looking forward to your explanation of the next example. Thank you again!