Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Netherlands
Lea found the men's accent difficult to understand and for most of the time she didn't have a clue what they were talking about. One thing she did understand though, was that they were planning some sort of a bombing attack, which she would do all her possible to prevent. Why is it correct to say "would do"?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Lea found the men's accent difficult to understand and for most of the time she didn't have a clue what they were talking about. One thing she did understand though, was that they were planning some sort of a bombing attack, which she would do all her possible to prevent. Why is it correct to say "would do"?

Why do you think it's incorrect?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
One thing she did understand though, was that they were planning some sort of a bombing attack, which she would do all she could to prevent.

Rover

barnej0096

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Netherlands
It sounds unnatural, I'd say: "was going to do".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Are you sure you quoted it correctly? "... which she would do all her possible to prevent" is unnatural and incorrect. It should be:

... which she would do everything she could to prevent.
... which she would do everything in her power to prevent.
... which she would do everything possible to prevent. (Note that this removes the specific statement that she will only try to do what she can personally do.)

barnej0096

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Netherlands
Yes, it's written: "... which she would do all her possible to prevent." But if this sentence is in the past so shouldn't it be: "would have done"? I'm sorry but I still don't understand why I should use "would" :-(

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In this case, you can consider "would" to be "will" but in the past.

At the time she was listening to the men plotting the bomb attack, she was probably thinking "I will do everything possible to prevent that".

When changing that into reported speech/thought and moving the whole situation into the past, you say "When she listened to the men, she realised that they were plotting a bomb attack and she decided she would do everything possible to prevent that."

Status
Not open for further replies.