Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi guys,

I'd like to know if there are methods of reading a material and actually remember what it is talking about. I've read somewhere before that it helps to imagine and visualize what the reading is saying. But are there any more?

For me, it's fairly easy to remember things if it's of my interest. However, if it's reading a textbook, I'm preoccupied with literally focusing all of my energy on staring at the words and trying not to mispronounce them that I can't visualize - aka, I can't multitask. This intensifies if i'm reading out loud, meaning i'm reading just to read... I'm unable to preserve a lot of the content in my memory.

Are there ways to make me a better reader?

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I've always found re-reading is the best method to actually retain any information that you're reading.

Keeping in mind, I'm a uni student that is constantly cramming.

Even though cramming is discouraged, due to not retaining everything you remember, I find it does help.

Another great tool is flash cards to associate ideas with concepts.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's very common not to remember texts we read aloud- because we are concentrating on the pronunciation, we don't take anything in. It's the same for most people and not something to worry about.

boba7523

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks guys, and i'm glad that it's pretty common. Thought i was the only one experiencing this. :up::up:

Status
Not open for further replies.