Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Can you read this as "thirty eight-twenty five meters" by two digits? What about "meter" or "meters"?

le3-3 ex)Lake Titicaca, Peru: The Floating Reed Village High up in the Andes is grand Lake Titicaca. Located at 3,825m above sea-level, it is one of the highest lakes in the world.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Can you read this as "thirty eight-twenty five meters" by two digits? What about "meter" or "meters"?

le3-3 ex)Lake Titicaca, Peru: The Floating Reed Village High up in the Andes is grand Lake Titicaca. Located at 3,825m above sea-level, it is one of the highest lakes in the world.

Usually it's either read as thirty-eight-hundred twenty-five meters

or three-thousand eight-hundred-twenty-five meters.

Always meters.It's always a plural when more than one.

I've never seen it as 'thirty eight-twenty five meters'. It just doesn't sound natural. At least not to me.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is the rule applicable to any kind of numbers? Like apartment unit numbers? I used to read my unit number in Canada as 1205(twelve oh five). I think the rule is for the metric system.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Is the rule applicable to any kind of numbers? Like apartment unit numbers? I used to read my unit number in Canada as 1205(twelve oh five). I think the rule is for the metric system.

I'm not aware about any rules regarding it. However, I have only seen it used when referring to measurement

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Usually it's either read as thirty-eight-hundred twenty-five meters

or three-thousand eight-hundred-twenty-five meters.

Always meters.It's always a plural when more than one.

I've never seen it as 'thirty eight-twenty five meters'. It just doesn't sound natural. At least not to me.
What happened to the 'and's? Aren't you Australian? eight-hundred-twenty-five meters?
keannu, in Aus, and probably most of UK and elsewhere (except America), "eight hundred and twenty-five meters" is what you'll hear.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What happened to the 'and's? Aren't you Australian? eight-hundred-twenty-five meters?
keannu, in Aus, and probably most of UK and elsewhere (except America), "eight hundred and twenty-five meters" is what you'll hear.

Actually, that's not used as much anymore. It's being phased out, similar to 'th' is with dates.

It's no longer 10th of October. It's just 10 October.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

In BrE, we would read that aloud as "Located at three thousand, eight hundred and twenty-five metres above sea level ..."

The mention of apartment numbers was interesting though. We don't have such huge apartment blocks (blocks of flats) in the UK that we would probably ever have Apartment Number 3805 but if we did, I can imagine people referring to it as "thirty eight oh five" but most people would probably say "three eight oh five". I think the main difference is that with individual apartment numbers, used to identify a specific apartment, we never use the comma which we use in other numbers, like this:

It is at 3,805 metres.
There are 4,722 people in the stadium.
It is apartment number 3805.
I live in flat number 4722.
There are 3,805 apartments in the building.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Actually, that's not used as much any more. It's being phased out, similar to 'th' is with dates.

It's no longer 10th of October. It's just 10 October.

Are you sure about that? Raymott is Australian. In the UK most people still use the "and", and "10th October".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A house number or a phone number may be given as "thirty-eight twenty-five," but not a measurement in a sentence like that. The emphasis here is that it is a number of meters.

Now, if I was dictating a list of measurements where the unit of measure was not spoken each time, I would probably start pairing off the numbers as I spoke.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Actually, that's not used as much anymore. It's being phased out, similar to 'th' is with dates.
Maybe in the circles you hang in.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Maybe in the circles you hang in.

Well at uni this year, we were told that when entering dates, do it as just 10 October etc.

But I don't know. Only letters from the government/uni/real estate agent, lately they haven't had the 'th'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well at uni this year, we were told that when entering dates, do it as just 10 October etc.

But I don't know. Only letters from the government/uni/real estate agent, lately they haven't had the 'th'.

In writing, I can see how that would make sense. However, when you read aloud "3,825 metres" do you not actually say "three thousand, eight hundred and twenty five metres"?
If you read "10 October" aloud, is that what you would actually say or would you probably say "the 10th of October"?

There is a difference usually between what's on paper and what we say out loud.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In writing, I can see how that would make sense. However, when you read aloud "3,825 metres" do you not actually say "three thousand, eight hundred and twenty five metres"?
If you read "10 October" aloud, is that what you would actually say or would you probably say "the 10th of October"?

There is a difference usually between what's on paper and what we say out loud.

When I say a number less than 10,000 I actually say it as thirty-eight-hundred twenty-five.

Status
Not open for further replies.