Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
While studying modals in a book written by nonnative speaker, I found that Might & Could are used for suggestion as well i.e.
You might/ could sleep in my room today.
You might / could have slept in my room. (Past)

The book says that could and might can be used for possibility in past as well. i.e.
He might / could have downloaded Windows7 in his home.

Question: Me, being a nonnative speaker, how will I come to know about a sentence if it means a possibility or suggestion.

Could you please clear my confusion?

with kind regards

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Context.

If I say 'The door was unlocked, so that we might leave at any time', that's a possibility.

If I say 'Might I open the window?', that's a suggestion.

There's probably a rule - something to do with the tense of the verb in the main clause. But context works for me.

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How do you make a suggestion in the past, when there's no chance of it being taken up?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Exactly! There's the theoretical possibility of ambiguity, but I can't think of an example when the distinction is not perfectly clear in practice. To quote Lewis Carroll said 'Take care the sense and the sounds will take care of themselves'. ;-)

b

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As an American, I wouldn't use "might" for past permission (as I saw in a recent post) or suggestion.
  • You may leave the table when you've eaten your vegetables (current permission)
  • Yesterday, you could have/were allowed to leave the table when... (past permission) - would not use "might have" there.

• You may have found a solution! (present possibility)
  • Yesterday, you might have found the solution we have been looking for. It's still being tested.

• You may/might want to ask someone who knows about this stuff (present suggestion)

• May/Might I open the window? Request. American are less likely to use "might" here, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.