Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. I don't understand the structure of the sentence. How is it composed and what does it mean?

2. The answer for the following question is 1, but I chose 2. Can't 2 be an answer?
Q. Which is the correct mood change of the protagonist here? 1
1. cheerful -> annoyed. 2. satisfied -> regretful

mo3-28
ex) Victor, a private detective, leaned against his window and looked out. ‘Surely no other place on earth is more proud of its beauty than Venice,’ he thought watching its spires and domes. Whistling a tune, Victor walked over to his large mirror. Just the weather for trying out his new disguise, he thought, as the sun warmed the back of his sturdy neck. He had bought this new treasure only the previous day: an enormous mustache, so dark and bushy that it would have made any self‑respecting walrus extremely jealous. He stuck it carefully under his nose and stood on his toes to make himself taller. He became so fascinated by his reflection that he only heard the footsteps on the stairs when they stopped outside his door. ‘Clients. Blast! Why are they bothering me now of all times?’ With a deep sigh he sat behind his desk. He heard voices whispering outside his door.

Last edited:

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. I don't understand the structure of the sentence. How is it composed and what does it mean?

2. The answer for the following question is 1, but I chose 2. Can't 2 be an answer?

mo3-28
ex) Victor, a private detective, leaned against his window and looked out. ‘Surely no other place on earth is more proud of its beauty than Venice,’ he thought watching its spires and domes. Whistling a tune, Victor walked over to his large mirror. Just the weather for trying out his new disguise, he thought, as the sun warmed the back of his sturdy neck. He had bought this new treasure only the previous day: an enormous mustache, so dark and bushy that it would have made any self‑respecting walrus extremely jealous. He stuck it carefully under his nose and stood on his toes to make himself taller. He became so fascinated by his reflection that he only heard the footsteps on the stairs when they stopped outside his door. ‘Clients. Blast! Why are they bothering me now of all times?’ With a deep sigh he sat behind his desk. He heard voices whispering outside his door.
In the first part of the text Victor was happy or cheerful. He may have been satisfied, but the overwhelming emotion was one of being cheerful. When the clients appeared, he had to stop admiring his new mustache and then became annoyed. He was not regretting anything, he was annoyed by the intrusion.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

mo3-28

With the underlined sentence, imagine that the sentence starts "It is ..." and that might help. "Just the weather" means "the perfect weather".

He stood in the room and the sunlight coming through the window was making his sturdy neck warm and as he stood there he thought that it was the perfect weather to test out his new disguise.

I'm not quite sure why the weather needed to be sunny in order to be the perfect weather to test out his new disguise (the big moustache). The only thing I can think is that he probably didn't want to get his fake moustache wet in case it slid off his face!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It's an appallingly written text.

Status