[Grammar] Just because you see a black man driving in a nice car does not mean it's stolen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

(When the agent got arrested by the cops in Man in Black 3)

A : Just because you see a black man driving in a nice car does not mean it's stolen.

I saw the sentence in the movie. I think that in this case, driving in a nice car modifies a black man as an adjective like "black" modifies "man" in "a black man". What do you experts think about it?

Thank you so much as usual.

Last edited:

MartinEnglish

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's elipsis - "Just because you see a black man (WHO IS) driving in a nice car...etc

I feel racist just writing that - could you not find a better example?

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

I feel racist just writing that - could you not find a better example?

I don't want to derail this thread, but since you bring this up, I feel compelled to respond.

You may feel that way, but the purpose of sky3120's question was to inquire about the linguistic aspects of this sentence, which is what this forum is for. The bottom line is that it's a movie quote and it should be treated as such.

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you and I did not mean to insult anyone but I am sorry. Also I agree with your way of interpretation but is it possible to interpret the sentence similarly to the way of interpreting these sentence, 'I saw her dancing', 'I saw Tom driving', etc? I think although the appearance is the same, we should interpret those sentences differently considering context. What do you think? Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.