• Post Thanks / Like

My mother tongue is hindi and i want to learn fluent english because we have to give slide presentations. I also want to become a good public speaker in english. How can I do this.
    waiting for urgent reply

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question

There's no simple answer to this- fluency requires time and practice. For tips on public speaking try here:

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question

Thanks for your reply. I am very grateful to you for considering my question.

• Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Question

I have my own suggestion (tdol's is great as usual of course .... coming perhaps from my own warped education. Find some good examples of English oratory or speech, and learn them "by heart" -- so that you understand the meaning, and convey it with your voice (tone, volume, timing and so on). It's good imho if they are difficult and literary... Shakespeare is great for this. And an easy source from the Net. Sir Winston Churchill was a great master of English oratory and rhetoric, and you couldn't go wrong copying him. Here's one of my own favorites, and the meaning is not obscure, and it's absolutely chilling, from the period in WWII when Britain stood alone (before US entry into the war) against Hitler:..................

. . . our losses in material are enormous. We have perhaps lost one-third of the men we lost in the opening days of the battle on March 21, 1918, but we have lost nearly as many guns -- nearly 1,000 -- and all our transport and all the armored vehicles that were with the army of the north. . . . Hitler has plans for invading the British Isles. . . . We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender and even if, which I do not for the moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, will carry on the struggle until in God's good time the New World with all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old. Winston S. Churchill, to Parliament on 4 June 1940 following the rout of the Allied forces in Europe during Hitler's conquest of France. Times were not to improve straight away; the French Government, such as it was and being notoriously short on Churchills, and valuing the dead relics of civilization such as Notre Dame and the Arc of Triumph (!! !!) more than the living values of freedom and honor, declared Paris an open city on June 13. On June 22 France surrendered, thereafter establishing a collaborationist government headquartered in Vichy that would peacefully co-exist with Nazi Germany, all within Hitler's greater European empire.
    Two weeks later .........

... the Battle of Britain is about to begin. Upon this battle depends the survival of Christian civilization. Upon it depends our own British life, and the long continuity of our institutions and our Empire. The whole fury and might of the enemy must very soon be turned on us. Hitler knows that he will have to break us in this Island or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be free and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands. But if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, "This was their finest hour." Sir Winston Churchill, to Parliament, 18 June 1940.
    Last edited by ebb; 16-Jan-2006 at 19:36.