Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1. Hardly can I say it was a game of diamond cut diamond, but...

2. Upon the principle of 'diamond cut diamond' the stones are roughly fashioned by the bruter into whatever symmetrical form he has designed them to be when finished.

3. Diamond cut Diamond, bite the Biter.

4. He felt... sure his employer would outwit him if he could; and resolved it should be diamond cut diamond.

5. In the game of diamond-cut-diamond, it is not always just to single out a single victim for condemnation.

6. Diamond cut Diamond (1876) 338 There is always an especial run on the government pawn-broking establishment.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. Hardly can I say it was a game of diamond cut diamond, but...

2. Upon the principle of 'diamond cut diamond' the stones are roughly fashioned by the bruter into whatever symmetrical form he has designed them to be when finished.

3. Diamond cut Diamond, bite the Biter.

4. He felt... sure his employer would outwit him if he could; and resolved it should be diamond cut diamond.

5. In the game of diamond-cut-diamond, it is not always just to single out a single victim for condemnation.

6. Diamond cut Diamond (1876) 338 There is always an especial run on the government pawn-broking establishment.

None of those make any sense to me at all, but the Wikipedia entry for "diamond cut diamond" might help: Diamond Cut Diamond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I imagine it's the card game which is being referred to in numbers 1 and 4.

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In diamond cut diamond, is cut a verb?

(Not a Teacher)

when I was in school, there was a exercise in my language paper(my mother tongue) where we needed to translate some English proverbs to equivalent Tamil proverbs(my mother tongue). In those exercises, the often given proverb to translate was "Diamond cut Diamond" and the equivalent Tamil proverb for that almost means" Evil should be destroyed by evil". I am told by teachers then that Diamonds(stone) are cut only by diamonds. So far, I thought that it is a common proverb in English but now I wonder whether it really exists beyond my place.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
(Not a Teacher)

When I was at school, there was a exercise in my language paper (my mother tongue) where we needed to translate [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] English proverbs to their equivalent Tamil proverbs (Tamil is my mother tongue). In those exercises, the [STRIKE]often given[/STRIKE] proverb often given to translate is "Diamond cut Diamond" and the equivalent Tamil proverb for that almost means "Evil should be destroyed by evil". I am told by teachers then that Diamonds (stones) are cut only by diamonds. [STRIKE]So far[/STRIKE]Until now, I thought that it is a common proverb in English but now I wonder whether it really exists [STRIKE]beyond my place[/STRIKE] outside my country.

I have certainly never heard it.

Status
Not open for further replies.