Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

The question I would like to ask today may be not so elegant, but I really want to know something detailed about it. It is the phrase "honk snot balls", I know it is used to describe people spit, but I do not have a clear idea of what it exactly refers to. please kindly help me ^_^ Thanks!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

The question I would like to ask today may be not so elegant, but I really want to know something detailed about it. It is the phrase "honk snot balls", I know it is used to describe people spit, but I do not have a clear idea of what it exactly refers to. please kindly help me ^_^ Thanks!

I'm glad I've finished eating my breakfast!

Did you see that phrase as one single compound noun (ie He had some honk snot balls)?

"Snot" in BrE is the wet mucus stuff from your nose. If a child's nose is leaking the liquid clear/green stuff, then it is referred to as "snot".
I don't know if it's "honk" as a noun or a verb. If it's a verb then I imagine it's being used to describe the disgusting habit that some people have of holding one nostril shut with their fingers, and then expelling air and snot out of the other nostril onto the street at high speed.
In my opinion, it's not being used to describe any kind of spit, which is saliva and comes from the mouth. That doesn't fit with "snot".

yanx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm also glad I did not know what it means when I had my supper! LOL But Thanks very much for you help!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Something else occurred to me. The verb "to hawk" is used in a similar context. If you "hawk up spit", you rather disgustingly and violently bring the thick mucus-type spit up from the back of your throat and then eject it from the mouth. I wonder if you might have heard "hawk", not "honk".

yanx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Something else occurred to me. The verb "to hawk" is used in a similar context. If you "hawk up spit", you rather disgustingly and violently bring the thick mucus-type spit up from the back of your throat and then eject it from the mouth. I wonder if you might have heard "hawk", not "honk".

Yeah, I understand what it means now, but before you told me I had no idea.. Thanks again!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, we "hawk up phlegm". (Well, I don't, but some people do!)

yanx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I agree, some people have this habit, while many other people don't..:)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I wish I hadn't come into this thread.

'Snot nice.