[Grammar] sentence structure (role of infinitive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

virus99

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Twi
Home Country
Bhutan
Current Location
Tuvalu
Hi forum!

Could you be so kind and break this sentence down for me:

I wanted to claim more money.

I = subject
wanted = verb
to claim = infinitive
more = adverb
money = object

(This sentence only has one clause.)

Here it seems to me as if "wanted to claim" belongs together.

How does the infinitive grammatically function in this sentence? Is it part of the verb?

Thanks for your help! :-D

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Congratulations
on the fine parsing job.

I do, however, believe that most books would parse "more" as an adjective in your sentence. For example, The New Oxford American Dictionary has this example of its adjective use: "I poured myself more coffee."

Tom: I wanted.

Mona: What did you want? Ice cream? A girlfriend? To visit Paris?

Tom: Oh, sorry. I wanted to claim more money.

Mona: Oh, now I understand.

I think that most books would say that the so-called infinitive phrase is the object of the verb "wanted."

James

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,
1. I have found some more information (about infinitives) that may interest you.

2. In American high schools (secondary schools), most teachers would be thrilled, I believe, if their students were able to

understand the explanation that I gave in my first post.

3. In college (university), however, linguists (grammar experts who study the subject very deeply) are not satisified with

high school grammar.

4. One linguist gives this sentence: I want to leave at once.

a. In high school, we would just say that "to leave at once" is an infinitive phrase used as the object of the verb "want."

b. This scholar, however, asked: Exactly what is an infinitive?

c. Here is her answer:

i. The "to" means nothing.
ii. The "to" only tells you that the subject of "leave" is not present in the sentence.
iii. In other words, she says that the sentence that you see comes from another sentence that you do not see.
That sentence that you do not see is "I want I leave at once."

(a) As you know, English speakers will not accept that sentence. So we (i) delete (drop) the second "I" and insert a "to" in its place.

5. If we accept that scholar's theory, then maybe "I wanted to claim more money" comes from this "unseen" sentence:
I wanted I claim more money."

6. My reference was A Primer of Transformational Grammar for Rank Beginners (1975) by Suzette Haden Elgin.

a. "Rank beginner" means absolute beginner (like me).
b. Since 1975, linguists have developed many theories about language. As far as I know, they still believe in Ms. Elgin's theory about infinitives. Maybe a linguist will join this thread and let us know.
c. Transformational grammar is too difficult for me, so I just concentrate on high school-level English. I assume that you are a young person. So -- when you have time -- you may wish to check out articles on the Web that deal with transformational grammar.

I want I thank you for your question. In doing this research, I learned a lot.

James

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.