Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi, while correcting students' translation sentences, there is a an expression "put your failure behind you." Some of the students wrote "put your failure behind yourself." Do you think the use of "yourself" an acceptable writing style? I check the Longman Dictionary. Under the entry of "behind," there is only sentences with the expression of "put... behind you," nothing like that of "...yourself."

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You will come across yourself used like this, but is there any good reason for it? I am afraid that I don't like the use of myself as a supposedly posh or upmarket way of saying me. When I hear things like please inform myself or my colleagues, I shudder. I pride myself, can hurt myself but never put my failures behind myself. ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You will come across yourself used like this, but is there any good reason for it? I am afraid that I don't like the use of myself as a supposedly posh or upmarket way of saying me. When I hear things like please inform myself or my colleagues, I shudder. I pride myself, can hurt myself but never put my failures behind myself. ;-)
I am sure that myself and the other moderators are with you on that.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Just about, myselfer. :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yeah, but...

This one has "you" as the implied subject and "you" as the object, which seems to merit the use of the reflexive.
Give yourself a pat on the back.
Don't forget to leave one for yourself.

So why is this one different? I agree it doesn't sound natural, but what is the reason that "behind you" is right and "behind yourself" is not, when "you" is the subject and object?

Status
Not open for further replies.