Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I wonder if this doesn't make sense.If it is an unspecific library, you can use "a library" and for a specific library, "the library". My acquaintance answered with this, but got no mark for this part in a midterm of a Korean middle school. I need your clear answer.

ex)I wonder whether I can borrow the book at a library.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I wonder if this doesn't make sense.If it is an unspecific library, you can use "a library" and for a specific library, "the library". My acquaintance answered with this, but got no mark for this part in a midterm of a Korean middle school. I need your clear answer.

ex)I wonder whether I can borrow the book at a library.

It's fine. I see nothing wrong with it at all.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's entirely understandable. Personally, I would say "from the library", but you are "at a library" at the point where you take the book to the desk and actually go through the borrowing procedure.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's fine. I see nothing wrong with it at all.
Nor do I. I think the tester ruled it out because people tend to have a local library that they refer to as 'the library'. For example, if I say to MrsK 'I'm going to the library' she knows that I mean Spencers Wood library. If I mean some other library - say Reading University library - then I specify that.

But the question 'I wonder whether I can borrow the book at a library' means 'I wonder whether there's a library somewhere where I can borrow the book' - perhaps for some reason the speaker thinks it's not the sort of book a library would stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.