[Vocabulary] Does "exploiting one's talents" mean "developing", or"applying" one's talents well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Does "exploiting one's talents" mean "developing", or"applying" one's talents well?

I'm not sure about the meaning of "exploiting one's talents."

Does it mean:
1. to develop one's talents? Like, finding ways to become smarter?
Or,
2. to use one's own intelligence as much as possible to complete something, instead of aiming at enhancing his/her intelligence?

I hope my English is not confusing anyone...Please feel free to ask me to clarify if you find any sentence not clear enough! Thank you.:)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Re: Does "exploiting one's talents" mean "developing", or"applying" one's talents wel

I'm not sure about the meaning of "exploiting one's talents."

Does it mean:
1. to develop one's talents? Like, finding ways to become smarter?
Or,
2. to use one's own intelligence as much as possible to complete something, instead of aiming at enhancing his/her intelligence?

I hope my English is not confusing anyone...Please feel free to ask me to clarify if you find any sentence not clear enough! Thank you.:)

To exploit one's talents means to use one's existing talents to the full. That could of course include a talent for learning new skills.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Does "exploiting one's talents" mean "developing", or"applying" one's talents wel

I think "exploiting one's talents" includes developing them and learning how to use them. You may be a gifted athlete, but if you do not put the time into practicing and learning, you will never become the star quarterback.

Likewise, you may have a talent for math and science, but if you don't study hard you won't become an engineer.

azhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

Thank you both, so exploiting one's talents means to make good use of and improving them.
That is more reasonable actually, because "using" your talents WILL "improve"them, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.