Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I guess most of us know sentences with "what clauses" that focus on the main verb (in this case "sit"), e.g.

"What he does is sit in front of the TV".

Now, what I would like to ask you is: Can I replace "does" in the sentence above with another verb? Would the following work and sound natural? I'm well aware that the meaning is different, but that doesn't matter to me right now. All I am interested in is to know whether or not the sentence below is natural.

"What he likes is sit in front of the TV".
Thank you for your time.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That doesn't work. The 'sit' needs to be 'to sit' or 'sitting'. We can say 'He does sit ...'; we can't say 'He likes sit ...'.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That doesn't work. The 'sit' needs to be 'to sit' or 'sitting'. We can say 'He does sit ...'; we can't say 'He likes sit ...'.

Interesting. It works with "does", but doesn't with other verbs? Is there any verb you can think of that it would work with? And how about when I change the infinitive in the first sentence like this?

What he does is sitting in front of the TV?

That doesn't work for me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Interesting. It works with "does", but doesn't with other verbs? Is there any verb you can think of that it would work with? And how about when I change the infinitive in the first sentence like this?

What he does is sitting in front of the TV?

That doesn't work for me.

It doesn't work.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I guess most of us know sentences with "what clauses" that focus on the main verb (in this case "sit"), e.g.

"What he does is sit in front of the TV".

Now, what I would like to ask you is: Can I replace "does" in the sentence above with another verb? Would the following work and sound natural? I'm well aware that the meaning is different, but that doesn't matter to me right now. All I am interested in is to know whether or not the sentence below is natural.

Thank you for your time.
You are trying to replace a tire on an automobile with an apple when the only thing that will fit is a tire. "does" serves an important function in English, and cannot, without additional support, be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.