English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,
I have a rather "cultural" question. Do the natives always follow phonetic reading rules when they pronounce English surnames they've never heard before? Supposing, you see an unusual surname in the newspaper - will you read it loud according to the accepted rules of reading?

So, how would you pronounce "Knebel"? Kn is usually pronounced as [n] at the beginning of the word, e is in an "open" stressed syllable, so it will be [i:], the second e is not stressed, so it will be [ɪ] (or [ə]?). All these elements combined, the whole word should be pronounced as ['ni:bɪl]. Am I right? :-?

If one reads an unfamiliar surname accoding to the accepted reading rules, is there a big chance that they'll pronounce it correctly (in general, not taking into consideration the speaker's individual articulation peculiarities)?

Thank you in advance.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello,
I have a rather "cultural" question. Do the natives always follow phonetic reading rules when they pronounce English surnames they've never heard before? Supposing, you see an unusual surname in the newspaper - will you read it loud according to the accepted rules of reading?

So, how would you pronounce "Knebel"? Kn is usually pronounced as [n] at the beginning of the word, e is in an "open" stressed syllable, so it will be [i:], the second e is not stressed, so it will be [ɪ] (or [ə]?). All these elements combined, the whole word should be pronounced as ['ni:bɪl]. Am I right? :-?

If one reads an unfamiliar surname accoding to the accepted reading rules, is there a big chance that they'll pronounce it correctly (in general, not taking into consideration the speaker's individual articulation peculiarities)?

Thank you in advance.
'Knebel' isn't English. I'd pronounce it /kneIbl/.
Now, if you're asking about English Surnames, how about: Hough, Cockburn, Donne, Worcester ...
There aren't any accepted rules for saying people's names; sometimes you have to guess.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And because of the problems many names pose with pronunciation and spelling, feel free to ask.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Status
Not open for further replies.