• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Loan department in a library?

Hello,

do you think it is possible to use the term "LOAN DEPARTMENT" as the department in a library where you can borrow books? I came across this at the web page of one university library. I thought that the word "LOAN" is always associated with borrowing money - am I right? They also advertise "INTERLIBRARY LOANS SERVICES".

If this is not right, how would you call such a department? Borrowing department? Lending department?

Thanks for your comments!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Loan department in a library?

It's fine; there's nothing special about 'loan' that makes it work only with money. But the collocation loan/money is so common that if you ask someone 'Can I have a loan?' they know you're asking for money.

'Interlibrary loan' is also a strong collocation. However, a library that handles loans (some don't, as you know) is called 'a lending library'.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

If you go into a library and cannot find the book you want, you might approach the help desk and ask "Do you have a copy of Fly Fishing by J R Hartley?" The answer might be "We do but it's currently [out] on loan". That means someone else has borrowed it from the library and has not yet returned it.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Out of interest, where was this university? I have never heard the term used.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

This seems so strange to me. In the US, public libraries loan books. That's what they do. There is a small "reference" section of books that aren't to leave the library, but somewhere between 85 and 95% of the books are for loaning. I think we have Ben Franklin to thank for this system.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    This seems so strange to me. In the US, public libraries loan books. That's what they do. There is a small "reference" section of books that aren't to leave the library, but somewhere between 85 and 95% of the books are for loaning. I think we have Ben Franklin to thank for this system.
    Most university libraries in the UK have big restrictions on loaning books. The UL in Cambridge only loans books to post-grads*. If - as an under-grabuate student, you want to read something in the UL, you have to go there. Other university libraries are less picky! But they still say, to outsiders (who can't take out books), 'This is not a lending library.'

Of course, this whole discussion is soon to be chiefly of historical interest, if the Chancellor of the Exchequer has his way

b

PS * This is how it was forty years ago, but I think it was the same when my son was there too.
    Last edited by BobK; 17-Oct-2012 at 17:11. Reason: Added PS