English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
In the following sentence, the compound adjective of the bold part is 'high-priced'. Could you tell me why we can't use 'highly-priced'? For instance, highly-paid or highly-strung. Should it be learned by heart or has it got a rule?

Those cars are a very high price.

Thanks a lot.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi
In the following sentence, the compound adjective of the bold part is 'high-priced'. Could you tell me why we can't use 'highly-priced'? For instance, highly-paid or highly-strung. Should it be learned by heart or has it got a rule?

Those cars are a very high price. This is unnatural.
Thanks a lot.

"Those cars are very highly priced."
"Those cars are at a very high price."
Can you see the difference?

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
"Those cars are very highly priced."
"Those cars are at a very high price."
Can you see the difference?

Thanks bhai, honestly the sentence sounded odd to me at first, but as I found it in an English book by an English writer (advanced vocabulary and idiom by BJ Thomas) I thought I shouldn't doubt it (so there was a word missing there). Thanks.
By the way, I don't see a difference between the two sentences. Could you help me get it?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

1. The Columbia Guide to Standard American English (1993, page 224) says:

"One spot where high and highly do seem interchangeable is before the participial adjective priced (a high-priced/ a highly priced car)."

2. Webster's Dictionary of English Usage (1989, page 503) says:

"[Roy H.] Copperud [who wrote a book on "good" English in] 1970 expresses a preference for high-priced over highly priced."

3. I googled "highly priced cars." I was unable to find one result. It seems that "everybody" uses "high-priced cars."

Therefore, it seems that "Rich people drive high-priced cars" is more idiomatic (the way native speakers use their

language) than is "Rich people drive highly priced cars."

James

Status
Not open for further replies.