[Grammar] Can anyone read the text and tell me wether it's all right or wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinderella91

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hey,
I'm not sure wether I do my homework right.. May someone of you can look and correkt :)

Somebody I knocking at the door. Can you see who it is?
First you cook the onions in a little oil until they are golden brown.
Carlos forever loses his temper with people!He must learn to calm down.
Here cames the bus! You'd better hurry.
'Where's Jack?' 'He is reading the paper in the kitchen.'
Whenever I put up my hand, Harry kicks me under the desk.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand you.
Maria is leaving now,so could you get her coat?
Come and eat your dinner. It's getting cold.
I hear you did really well in your exams. Well done!

In this exercise we have to decide wether we use present simple or present continuous. Did I do it right?

I have an other exercise with past forms... We shall use past perfect only it it is necessery to make the meaning clear.
I have the feeling, that my past text is very wrong...

The condition of Britain in 1917
The government also (A) needed to ensure that Britain was fed. Under the Defance of the Realm. Act it was able to take over land and turn it over to food production. In Feb. 1917 it (B) set up the Women's Land Army to recruit women as farm workers. By then, however, the food supply in Britain (C) became desperate. German U - Boats (D) sank one in every four British merchant ships and Britain had only six weeks supply of weat left. As food supplies (E) was becaming short sp prices (F) rose. Wages (G) hardly rose during the war because people were mostly prepared to sacrifice better pay to support the war effort, but prices were now almost double what they (H) was in 1914. Poorer people could not even afford basics supplies auch as bread. Shops (I) were colosing early each afternoon as they (J) were running out of goods to sell.

The overall reaction of Germans was horror and outrage. They certainly (K) don't believe they (L) were strating the war. They (M) don't even thinking thy losing the war. In 1919 many Germans (O) don't really understand hoe bad German government (Q) simply agreed to a ceasefire, and that their government was not represented at the talks and that the Allies (R) forced to sign the treaty and at one point it was looking as though was might break out again.

Greets
Cinderella :)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hey,
I'm not sure wether I do my homework right.. May someone of you can look and correkt :)
We don't do or correct homework here, Cinderella. That's your teacher's job.
If you have any general questions about English, we'll be happy to answer them.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Submit your homework to your teacher. When you get it back, look carefully at what has been corrected. If you don't understand any of the corrections, then come back to the forum and ask us to explain. Your teacher needs to know what you know, not what we know.

Cinderella91

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
ok, homework may is the wrong word.
It's more a voluntary work to get better in english. It has nothing to do with school.
I'm not good in english and for this reason I buy a grammer exercise book. The Problem is, there aren't the solutuions, you know?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]ok[/STRIKE] OK, maybe homework [STRIKE]may[/STRIKE] is the wrong word.
[STRIKE]It's more [/STRIKE][STRIKE]a voluntary work[/STRIKE] I am studying at home to get better [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at English. It has nothing to do with school.
I'm not good [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at English and for this reason I [STRIKE]buy[/STRIKE] bought a grammer exercise book. The problem is [STRIKE]there aren't[/STRIKE] the book doesn't include the solut[STRIKE]u[/STRIKE]ions. [STRIKE]you know?[/STRIKE]

Can you please give the name of the grammar exercise book, and the name of the author?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hey,
I'm not sure whether I do my homework right. May someone [STRIKE]of you[/STRIKE] can look at it and correct it.

Somebody is knocking at the door. Can you see who it is?
First you cook the onions in a little oil until they are golden brown.
Carlos forever loses his temper with people! He must learn to calm down.
Here cames the bus! You'd better hurry. :cross:
'Where's Jack?' 'He is reading the paper in the kitchen.'
Whenever I put up my hand, Harry kicks me under the desk.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand you.
Maria is leaving now, so could you get her coat?
Come and eat your dinner. It's getting cold.
I hear you did really well in your exams. Well done!

In this exercise we have to decide whether we use present simple or present continuous. Did I do it right?

I have marked above the answer which has the most obvious incorrect word in it. Take another look at it.

Cinderella91

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
The book is Macmillan English Grammar In Context Advanced by Michael Vince.

Thanks for the first read of it emsr2d2 :)
The things about bis and small letters comes from typing it on the PC. At my Sheet, this mistakes don't exist ;)
The grammar time (simple/continuous) is correct?
What about the second text? By that I am very unsure...

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The book is Macmillan English Grammar In Context Advanced by Michael Vince.

Thanks for the first read of it emsr2d2. [STRIKE] :)[/STRIKE]
The things about bis and small letters comes from typing it on the PC.[STRIKE] At[/STRIKE] On my sheet, [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] these mistakes don't exist. [STRIKE];)[/STRIKE]

I don't know what "the things about bis" means.

If you want us to look at your work, you have to make sure that you copy it exactly when you type. It is a waste of our time if we are looking at words on the screen but they are not the same words that you have written on your answer sheet.

Please end all your sentences with the appropriate punctation mark as I have shown above. Leaving a space and then a "smiley" is not an appropriate way to end a written sentence.

Please do not be offended but from what I have seen of your written English in this thread, I am surprised that you are working from a textbook on Advanced Grammar. Having said that, there was only one error in your answers to the first set of questions. It looks as if you are very careful when you do the exercises, but you are not as careful when you are simply writing sentences. You need to be more careful all the time.

Cinderella91

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Next time I will copy it more carefully. Promise.
It's my first time in a forum... So I'm sorry.
You don't tell me anything about the second text.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have an other exercise with past forms. We shall use past perfect only [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] if it is necessary to make the meaning clear.
I have the feeling, that my past text (I don't know what you mean by "past text") is very wrong...

The government also (A) needed to ensure that Britain was fed. Under the Defence of the Realm (no full stop required) Act it was able to take over land and turn it over to food production. In Feb. 1917 it (B) set up the Women's Land Army to recruit women as farm workers. By then, however, the food supply in Britain (C) became desperate. German [STRIKE]U - Boats[/STRIKE] U-boats (D) sank one in every four British merchant ships and Britain had only six weeks supply of wheat left. As food supplies (E) was becaming short [STRIKE]sp[/STRIKE] so prices (F) rose. Wages (G) hardly rose during the war because people were mostly prepared to sacrifice better pay to support the war effort, but prices were now almost double what they (H) was in 1914. Poorer people could not even afford basics supplies auch as bread. Shops (I) were c[STRIKE]o[/STRIKE]losing early each afternoon as they (J) were running out of goods to sell.

The overall reaction of Germans was horror and outrage. They certainly (K) don't believe they (L) were starting the war. They (M) don't even thinking they were losing the war. In 1919 many Germans (O) don't really understand [STRIKE]hoe[/STRIKE] how bad German government (this makes no sense) (Q) simply agreed to a ceasefire, and that their government was not represented at the talks and that the Allies (R) forced to sign the treaty and at one point it was looking as though [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] war might break out again.

[STRIKE]Greets[/STRIKE]
Cinderella [STRIKE]:)[/STRIKE]

See above. There are multiple errors. I have marked the errors with your choice of tense in red, bold and underlined. However, you will notice that there are other red marks. Those are also errors. Most of them are where you have not copied the text correctly. As I said, it is very important to copy very carefully.

Cinderella91

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
So I will correct it and then post it again. Will that be ok?
Will you be so nice to correct it again?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So I will correct it and then post it again. Will that be ok?
Will you be so nice to correct it again?

Yes, please try again and post your next attempt. I'm sure I will not be the only person who looks at it!

Cinderella91

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
So I hope that now it will be better.

The government also (A) needed to ensure that Britain was fed. Under the Defence of the Realm Act it was able to take over land and turn it over to food production. In Feb. 1917 it (B) set up the Women's Land Army to recruit women as farm workers. By then, however, the food supply in Britain (C) was becaming desperate. German U-boats (D) were singking one in every four British merchant ships and Britain had only six weeks supply of wheat left. As food supplies (E) ran short so prices (F) rose. Wages (G) hardly rose during the war because people were mostly prepared to sacrifice better pay to support the war effort, but prices were now almost double what they (H) were in 1914. Poorer people could not even afford basics supplies such as bread. Shops (I) were closing early each afternoon as they (J) were running out of goods to sell.

The overall reaction of Germans was horror and outrage. They certainly (K) not believe they (L) started the war. They (M) were not even thinking they losing the war. In 1919 many Germans (O) didn’t really understand how bad Germany’s military situation (P) was at the end of the war in 1918. They believe that the German government (Q) simply agreed to a ceasefire, and that therefore Germany should have been at the Paris Peace Conference to negotiate peace. They were angry that their government was not represented at the talks and that the Allies (R) were force to sign the treaty and at one point it was looking as though war might break out again.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So I hope that now it will be better.

The government also (A) needed to ensure that Britain was fed. Under the Defence of the Realm Act it was able to take over land and turn it over to food production. In Feb. 1917 it (B) set up the Women's Land Army to recruit women as farm workers. By then, however, the food supply in Britain (C) was becaming desperate. German U-boats (D) were singking one in every four British merchant ships and Britain had only six weeks supply of wheat left. As food supplies (E) ran short so prices (F) rose. Wages (G) hardly rose during the war because people were mostly prepared to sacrifice better pay to support the war effort, but prices were now almost double what they (H) were* in 1914. Poorer people could not even afford basics supplies such as bread. Shops (I) were closing early each afternoon as they (J) were running out of goods to sell.

The overall reaction of Germans was horror and outrage. They certainly (K) (missing word) not believe they (L) started the war. They (M) were not even thinking they were losing the war. In 1919 many Germans (O) didn’t really understand how bad Germany’s military situation (P) was at the end of the war in 1918. They believed that the German government (Q) simply agreed to a ceasefire, and that therefore Germany should have been at the Paris Peace Conference to negotiate peace. They were angry that their government was not represented at the talks and that the Allies (R) were force to sign the treaty and at one point it was looking as though war might break out again.

That is better but there are still some errors. With the first error, you have the correct tense but the wrong spelling. Check again.
The second error, which I have marked with an asterisk (*) is a little ambiguous. I think some people would accept "were" but I think there is a better tense. Have a look at the other markings in red too.

Cinderella91

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
The government also (A) needed to ensure that Britain was fed. Under the Defence of the Realm Act it was able to take over land and turn it over to food production. In Feb. 1917 it (B) set up the Women's Land Army to recruit women as farm workers. By then, however, the food supply in Britain (C) was becoming desperate. German U-boats (D) were sinking one in every four British merchant ships and Britain had only six weeks supply of wheat left. As food supplies (E) ran short so prices (F) rose. Wages (G) hardly rose during the war because people were mostly prepared to sacrifice better pay to support the war effort, but prices were now almost double what they (H) were* ( you mean her past perfect? So it would be “had been”? in 1914. Poorer people could not even afford basics supplies such as bread. Shops (I) were closing early each afternoon as they (J) were running out of goods to sell.

The overall reaction of Germans was horror and outrage. They certainly (K) were not believe they (L) started the war. They (M) were not even thinking they (N) had losing the war. In 1919 many Germans (O) didn’t really understand how bad Germany’s military situation (P) was at the end of the war in 1918. They believed that the German government (Q) simply agreed to a ceasefire, and that therefore Germany should have been at the Paris Peace Conference to negotiate peace. They were angry that their government was not represented at the talks and that the Allies (R) forced them to accept a harsh treaty without any choice or even a comment. At first, the new government refused to sign the treaty and at one point it (S) was looking as though war might break out again.

I re-read it and hope that now it will be better...
I have a lot of problems with the past tenses. I think they are really tricky! Is there maybe a clou how I can better remeber, or understand, or wathever when which tense come?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
The government also (A) needed to ensure that Britain was fed. Under the Defence of the Realm Act it was able to take over land and turn it over to food production. In Feb. 1917 it (B) set up the Women's Land Army to recruit women as farm workers. By then, however, the food supply in Britain (C) was becoming desperate. German U-boats (D) were sinking one in every four British merchant ships and Britain had only six weeks supply of wheat left. As food supplies (E) ran short so prices (F) rose. Wages (G) hardly rose during the war because people were mostly prepared to sacrifice better pay to support the war effort, but prices were now almost double what they (H) were* ( you mean her past perfect? So it would be “had been”? in 1914. Poorer people could not even afford basics supplies such as bread. Shops (I) were closing early each afternoon as they (J) were running out of goods to sell.

The overall reaction of Germans was horror and outrage. They certainly (K) were not believe they (L) started the war. They (M) were not even thinking they (N) had losing the war. In 1919 many Germans (O) didn’t really understand how bad Germany’s military situation (P) was at the end of the war in 1918. They believed that the German government (Q) simply agreed to a ceasefire, and that therefore Germany should have been at the Paris Peace Conference to negotiate peace. They were angry that their government was not represented at the talks and that the Allies (R) forced them to accept a harsh treaty without any choice or even a comment. At first, the new government refused to sign the treaty and at one point it (S) was looking as though war might break out again.

I re-read it and hope that now it will be better...
I have a lot of problems with the past tenses. I think they are really tricky! Is there maybe a clue how I can better remember, or understand, or whatever when which tense come?

There is a problem at (K) and at (N).

Cinderella91

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Is it in (K) past continuous? were not believing they started the war?
And in (N), too? were losing the war?
Because both were unfinished actions in the past, or background acticities descriptions?
Sorry, but as I say, past is just not my tense...
And can you tell me about (H)??

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it in (K) past continuous? were not believing they started the war?
And in (N), too? were losing the war?
Because both were unfinished actions in the past, or background acticities descriptions?
Sorry, but as I say, past is just not my tense...
And can you tell me about (H)??

Why are you so against using the past simple? In a previous attempt at K you put "not believed" and I told you that there was simply one word missing. "Were not believed" does not exist in English. What is the simple past (negative) of "believe"?

With H, "but prices were now almost double what they (H) ....... in 1914", yes, I mean that there is an argument to be made for both "were" and "had been". The correct answer is "had been" because the piece is written now, the first part of the sentence refers to 1917, and then it talks about 1917 specifically compared to 1914. So, it should read "In 1917, prices were [now] almost double what they had been in 1914". However, you will hear "In 1917, prices were almost double what they were in 1914" from a lot of native speakers.

Cinderella91

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
The simple past of believe is believed, isn't it?
So negativ ist would be not believed. But you said one word are missing..

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
The simple past of believe is believed, isn't it?
So negative is would be not believed. But you said one word are missing..

What is the negative of "They believed"?

Status
Not open for further replies.