Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi,

I would like some help with the use of after and beyond. Can I use the preposition after to talk about a place? Are the sentences below correct? If not, give me some explanations why, please.

To get to my house you have to pass by the restaurant because it's (my house) after it.

To get to my house you have to pass by the restaurant because it's (my house) beyond it.

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

I would like some help with the use of after and beyond. Can I use the preposition after to talk about a place? Are the sentences below correct? If not, give me some explanations why, please.

To get to my house you have to pass by the restaurant because it's (my house) after it.

To get to my house you have to pass by the restaurant because it's (my house) beyond it.

Thanks.

To get to my house, you have to pass [by] the restaurant because my house is beyond it.
To get to my house, you have to pass [by] the restaurant because my house is just after it.

You will notice that I used "beyond" on its own but I used the phrase "just after" instead of "after" on its own. I'm really not able to explain why but that is how they sound natural. Of course, that means that it can only be used that way if your house is not a long way past the restaurant.

We hear the preposition "after" to talk about a place quite frequently, especially when giving someone directions. "Turn left at the traffic lights, carry on for about 250 metres and the shop you're looking for is on the left just after the huge supermarket".

Status
Not open for further replies.