Any synonym to the word 'contemporary', please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Are there any othere words wchich can be used in the following extract?

...some figures from the contemporary British pop culture...

Thanks.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I would use 'modern' or possibly 'current'.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But if it's talking about a time period 40 or 50 or 500 years ago, it does not mean "modern" or "current." It means "happening at the same time."

In fashion (and other fields) "contemporary" can mean a style that is modern, but that is a different thing.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
But if it's talking about a time period 40 or 50 or 500 years ago, it does not mean "modern" or "current." It means "happening at the same time."

In fashion (and other fields) "contemporary" can mean a style that is modern, but that is a different thing.

If it's happening at the same time, the writer would be in the same time frame, so contemporary would still mean 'modern' or 'current', in regards to the context.

'Modern' or 'current' is the correct would choice for his sentence in the context. It would change if the context changed.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What context? This excerpt could be talking about the British pop culture of the 1960s. I don't know. That's certainly not "modern" or "current" to an author writing today about that era.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In it's given context, you can only assume he's talking about here and now.

If it was to continue along with "some figures from the contemporary British pop culture of the 1960s....."

It would still have the same meaning because they are talking about what was modern then. It would be no different if you said "some figures from the modern contemporary British pop culture of the 1960s..."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In [STRIKE]it's[/STRIKE] its given context, you can only assume he's talking about here and now.
No you can't. AS SD pointed out, there isn't any context (except that the word 'pop' suggests that it is most certainly after 1950).
If it was to continue along with "some figures from the contemporary British pop culture of the 1960s....."

It would still have the same meaning because they are talking about what was modern then.
But it's not modern now, which is why we use the word 'contemporary'.
It would be no different if you said "some figures from the modern contemporary British pop culture of the 1960s..."
That would sound odd.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No you can't. AS SD pointed out, there isn't any context (except that the word 'pop' suggests that it is most certainly after 1950). I understand that. But in my opinion I still believe the most likely meaning is recent.

But it's not modern now, which is why we use the word 'contemporary'.
I believe if they were talking about a specific time frame they would've said "some figures from the 1980/90s British pop culture...." Instead they decided to use contemporary, which I took to mean modern. Is it so far a stretch as to believe they don't mean modern?

That would sound odd.
Sorry, I was suppose to take contemporary out of that sentence.

Comments in bold.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree that pop suggests a context, but 1950 is not contemporary. More context would clear this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.