• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Transformation of 3 phrases - is it correct?

I'd like to transform these three phrases below to get straight definition, not kind of story-telling description (not sure how to express myself correctly ).

Folding - horizontal movements pressed inward and moved the rock layers upward into a fold.
    My proposition:
    Folding is an occurrence (phenomenon?) of horizontal movements that press layers inward and move them upward into a fold.

Faulting - the layers of rock cracked and one side shifted upward or downward.
    My proposition:
    Faulting is a process in which layers of rock crack and are one side shifted upward or downward.

Pinching out - a layer of impermeable rock is squeezed upward into a reservoir rock.
    My proposition:
    Pinching out is a process of squeezing a layer of impermeable rock upward into a reservoir rock.

Anyone can say whether it's correct? Also, would it be better if I used past tense, instead of present in definition?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Transformation of 3 phrases - is it correct?

Quote Originally Posted by oboeteru View Post
    I'd like to transform these three phrases below to get straight definition, not kind of story-telling description (not sure how to express myself correctly ).

Folding - horizontal movements pressed inward and moved the rock layers upward into a fold.
    My proposition:
    Folding is an occurrence (phenomenon?) of[ what about 'occurs when'?] horizontal movements that press layers inward and move them upward into a fold.

My proposition:
    Faulting is a process in which layers of rock crack and are one side IS shifted upward or downward.

Pinching out - a layer of impermeable rock is squeezed upward into a reservoir rock.
    My proposition:
    Pinching out is a process of squeezing a layer of impermeable rock upward into a reservoir rock.

Anyone can say whether it's correct? Also, would it be better if I used past tense, instead of present in definition?
    I don't mind 'a process in which' as much as 'an occurence of' (though I'm not a fan of abstract nouns in scientific/technical writing), but perhaps you could use 'is when X + <present tense verb>' for all three definitions... (That would avoid the problem of faulty parallelism - another obstacle to understanding written text.)

b

PS Most Br Eng users would prefer 'up|downwards', but that's up to you!
    Last edited by BobK; 22-Oct-2012 at 15:25. Reason: PS Added

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

What I wanted to get is a straight answer on question: "What is folding/pinching out/faulting?" and not "When does it occur?".

It's kind of primary-school syndrome that I suffer from, since I got my test crossed in red, because my answers were exactly in that pattern .

Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by oboeteru View Post

My proposition:
    Folding is an occurrence (phenomenon?) of horizontal movements that press layers inward and move them upward into a fold.

My proposition:
    Faulting is a process in which layers of rock crack and are one side shifted upward or downward.

My proposition:

So the question was "What is faulting?" If that is the case, then the answer, expressed as a sentence would be "Faulting is what happens when rocks crack and one side shifts upwards or downwards". I don't see how you can get away from the fact that with cause and effect, you effectively always have "what happens when something else happens".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Aha, that's it ' X happens when...'oboe

KISS. I suspect I'd have been less free with the red ink than oboeteru's teacher!

b