Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Which one of the following sentences is more proper in written English between phrasal verbs and ordinary verb?

eg
1. I can't put up with you. (phrasal verb)
2. I can't tolerant you. (ordinary verb)

a. Am I correct to say it 'ordinary verb'?

b. Are there websites having examples of phrasal verbs with the ordinary verbs to study?

c. I find very difficult to remember phrasal verbs, is remember by heart the only way to pick them up? Any technics or suggestion in learning them in an easy ways?

Thank you.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Which one of the following sentences is more proper in written English between phrasal verbs and ordinary verbs?

eg
1. I can't put up with you. (phrasal verb)
2. I can't [STRIKE]tolerant [/STRIKE] tolerate you. (ordinary verb)
I don't know that one is more proper than the other. It depends on the context. To me, "I can't tolerate you" is more formal. In the US, I would expect to hear "I can't stand you".

a. Am I correct to say [STRIKE]it [/STRIKE]'ordinary verb'? No. You are referring to more than one verb. You should use "verbs".

b. Are there websites having examples of phrasal verbs with [STRIKE]the [/STRIKE]ordinary verbs to study? ​There may be some. You should search on the Internet using "Grammar verbs" as your search term.

c. I find very difficult to remember phrasal verbs, is remember by heart the only way to pick them up? Any [STRIKE]technics [/STRIKE] techniques or suggestions [STRIKE]in [/STRIKE] for learning them in an easy [STRIKE]ways[/STRIKE] way?

Thank you.
Gil

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(not a teacher)

1 is correct. 2 is wrong. "Tolerant" is an adjective; "tolerate" is the verb. "I can't tolerate​ you."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In my experience, learning phrasal verbs by heart as you stumble across them is the only way to do it. There is no pattern to them so it really is a case of simply realising when you've found a new one. Once you've identified one you've never seen before, get the definition(s) and learn an example sentence for each definition, preferably an example which means something specific to you.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I wouldn't use the term ordinary verb- in many contexts put up with would be more common than tolerate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.