Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm unsure of the rules regarding the use of an ellipsis. Mostly concerning the use of capitalisation.

From what I've gathered, when using it as a pause, such as "I look good...don't I?" You don't capitalise?

I figured that when starting a new sentence after an ellipsis you capitalise as normal?

Cheers

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I was taught that you use four dots to end a sentence with an ellipsis. If you do that, then you capitalise as normal, but YMMV on this.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
For those who are as behind the times as I: YMMV.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
From what I've gathered, when using it as a pause, such as "I look good...don't I?" You don't capitalise?

I figured that when starting a new sentence after an ellipsis you capitalise as normal?

***** NOT A TEACHER *****Hello,

I found your post most interesting, so I checked my books and the Web. I have some ideas to share with you.

1. There seem to be different rules. So if you are student, follow the book used by the teacher; if you are a journalist, follow the book used by the newspaper; if you are an author, follow the book used by the publisher; etc.

2. I think that people would usually write "I look good, don't I?"

a. Yes, it does seem that for dramatic effect, you could use those ellipsis dots.

i. "I look good ..., don't I?" (I believe that some teachers suggest including the comma.)

b. I think that for even more dramatic effect, you could use a dash:

"I look good -- don't I?"

3. I found some information that may (repeat: may) answer your question about capitalization.

a. Here are the complete sentences:

He arrived just in time for dinner. Unbeknowst to the rest of the family, he had brought his roommates along.

i. There are apparently two ways to use ellipsis:

(a) He arrived just in time for dinner. . . . he had brought his roommates along.
(b) He arrived just in time for dinner. . . . He had brought his roommates along.

(Personally, I prefer (b).)

4. Complete credit for this information goes to a short but most helpful article on the Web. Please google:

Ellipses -- When and How Paige Jackson

If you read that article several times very slowly, I think that you will find it of enormous help. I know that I certainly did.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.