Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

I don't understand the usage of the indefinite article in a sentence from one exercise. The task says one of the three options is not possible

Last weekend we visited a castle near my home. The main door opens to an/ the/ some entrance hall and the first painting you see...

which leaves me with "a" and "the". But how many entrance halls are there? More than one? Could anybody help, please?
Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We can take it to be the type of area that is known as an entrance hall, or as the only entrance hall of the house. You can do the same with other rooms which there are normally only one of: We went through the open door and arrived in a/the kitchen.

I think we'd be more likely to use the normally, but a(n) is possible.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,

I don't understand the usage of the indefinite article in a sentence from one exercise. The task says one of the three options is not possible

Last weekend we visited a castle near my home. The main door opens to an/ the/ some entrance hall and the first painting you see...

which leaves me with "a" and "the". But how many entrance halls are there? More than one? Could anybody help, please?
Thank you.

The answer is "an".

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you! But.... Applying the same logic, we could go through 'an open door' and even 'a main door ' - the type of door people consider to be main! - but for some reason we don't.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you! But.... Applying the same logic, we could go through 'an open door' and even 'a main door ' - the type of door people consider to be main! - but for some reason we don't.
We can certainly go through an open door. The adjective 'main' before 'door' virtually dictates that there is only one

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
But the entrance hall - the one that the main door opens to - is also unique, in a way! Ok, I give up. I see your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.