• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

he destroyes

Later,18 we read of Abrahamís return to his fatherís house, how he destroyes his fatherís idols, and is arrested for heresy. Holding steadfast to his faith even in the face of death, he is thrown into a fiery furnace, but G‑d performs a miracle and he survives.

Source: Was Abraham Jewish? - On the identity of the pre-Sinai Hebrews - Guest Columnists - Parsha

According to English grammar, we have to add s to verb that ends in consonant preceded by a vowel letter in state of being in the simple present tense ( when the pronouns being either he, she, or it - in the 3rd person). Now, should I omit/delete letter e? By the way, I ask you this question because I am afraid of exceptions in English. Correction, suggestion, and advice are appreciated.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

Re: he destroyes

NOT A TEACHER

It's a typo.

I, you, we, they destroy
    he, she destroys

I, you, he, she, we, they destroyed.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Not so much a typo - just an old text, published at a time when spelling was fluid, and printing was laborious. Sometimes typesetters would just add/remove letters arbitrarily to suit the line width.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa Dawn View Post
    I ask you this question because I am afraid of exceptions in English. Correction, suggestion, and advice are appreciated.
    English has changed a lot over time- no native speaker could understand Old English without help, and a lot of Middle English would be a strain. Even Shakespeare is usually printed with modern spelling and a lot of footnotes. If you see something strange in an old Biblical extract, it's generally a good idea to think of it as an exception rather than as something that challenges your knowledge of English. The Authorised Version of the Bible says that the wages of sin is death, but I don't know of (m)any modern grammars that would agree with the use of the singular verb. They did things differently four hundred years ago.