Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

Later,18 we read of Abraham’s return to his father’s house, how he destroyes his father’s idols, and is arrested for heresy. Holding steadfast to his faith even in the face of death, he is thrown into a fiery furnace, but G‑d performs a miracle and he survives.

Source: Was Abraham Jewish? - On the identity of the pre-Sinai Hebrews - Guest Columnists - Parsha

According to English grammar, we have to add s to verb that ends in consonant preceded by a vowel letter in state of being in the simple present tense ( when the pronouns being either he, she, or it - in the 3rd person). Now, should I omit/delete letter e? By the way, I ask you this question because I am afraid of exceptions in English. Correction, suggestion, and advice are appreciated.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

It's a typo.

I, you, we, they destroy
he, she destroys

I, you, he, she, we, they destroyed.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not so much a typo - just an old text, published at a time when spelling was fluid, and printing was laborious. Sometimes typesetters would just add/remove letters arbitrarily to suit the line width.

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I ask you this question because I am afraid of exceptions in English. Correction, suggestion, and advice are appreciated.

English has changed a lot over time- no native speaker could understand Old English without help, and a lot of Middle English would be a strain. Even Shakespeare is usually printed with modern spelling and a lot of footnotes. If you see something strange in an old Biblical extract, it's generally a good idea to think of it as an exception rather than as something that challenges your knowledge of English. The Authorised Version of the Bible says that the wages of sin is death, but I don't know of (m)any modern grammars that would agree with the use of the singular verb. They did things differently four hundred years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.