Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
Is this sentence OK?

His wife and son will come with him to the meeting tomorrow.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I see no problem with it. You might see a slightly different word order more often:

"His wife and son will come to the meeting with him tomorrow."

However, there is nothing wrong with your version.

Last edited:

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I see no problem with it. You might see a slightly different word order more often:

"His wife and soon with come to the meeting with him tomorrow."

I believe you meant, 'His wife and son will come to the meeting with him tomorrow.'

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

"His wife and so[STRIKE]o[/STRIKE]n will come to the meeting with him tomorrow."

I think we should also start posting warnings: "Not writing from a computer" or something of the like. Just in case, y'know ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks. I've edited my original.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I believe you meant, 'His wife and son will come to the meeting with him tomorrow.'

Something very odd happened on this one. When I saw the correction I went back and looked at my original (without editing it). I had clearly typed "soon" accidentally, but the word "will" said exactly that. On my screen there was no version (by me) where the word "will" had been replaced by the word "with".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Something very odd happened on this one. When I saw the correction I went back and looked at my original (without editing it). I had clearly typed "soon" accidentally, but the word "will" said exactly that. On my screen there was no version (by me) where the word "will" had been replaced by the word "with".
The typo-correcting fairy flew in unnoticed. Unfortunately, she was having a bad day. She spotted the 'with' but missed the 'soon'. I'll reprimand her most severely when I next see her - and also tell her to make a note of any editing she does in future.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The typo-correcting fairy flew in unnoticed. Unfortunately, she was having a bad day. She spotted the 'with' but missed the 'soon'. I'll reprimand her most severely when I next see her - and also tell her to make a note of any editing she does in future.

Aha! I did wonder if a mod had corrected it for me (thank her please!) but the last time that happened the "Edited by ..." message still appeared under the post but with the moderator's name instead of mine. As there was no "Edited by" message, I assumed the fairy hadn't visited!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Aha! I did wonder if a mod had corrected it for me (thank her please!) but the last time that happened the "Edited by ..." message still appeared under the post but with the moderator's name instead of mine. As there was no "Edited by" message, I assumed the fairy hadn't visited!
If the editing is done within a few minutes of the original post, the 'Edited by' message does not appear. This is the case whether you edit your own post or a mod or fairy edits it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If the editing is done within a few minutes of the original post, the 'Edited by' message does not appear. This is the case whether you edit your own post or a mod or fairy edits it.

Thanks. I'd never noticed that.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Wish the typo fairy [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] were more omnipresent in my life.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And there was I thinking there were two pages of posts on the subject of 'come with', which might even get around to discussing the growing use of 'come with' at the end of an invitation: 'Do you want to come with?' I often hear this on US TV dramas, but it's beginning to seep into Br Eng too (in the mouths of the young). I read many years ago that this usage (which I hadn't yet met) was due to the influence of 19th century German immigrants to the US: Du kommst mit? (etc)

b

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And I was expecting a discussion on whether "come with" or "go with" was more appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.