Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I'm opening this thread because I cannot catch the difference, if there is any, between these two verbs...can you help me with this?

In sentences like:
The tap is dripping
AND
The tap is leaking
Don't they mean the same?

MartinEnglish

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
drip means very small drops/droplets of water are falling - ("one, two, three, four..." - you can hear each one falling)
leak just means that something that SHOULD be held inside a container is coming out ("The oil leaked out of the ship", "the information was leaked by a politician", "the water leaked into the street from the broken pipe").

So a dripping tap is also a kind of leak but I hope you can see the difference now.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Without disagreeing with Martin, I can live with a faucet that drips. But if it's leaking, there is a steady stream of water coming out and I'd call a plumber.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Without disagreeing with Martin, I can live with a faucet that drips. But if it's leaking, there is a steady stream of water coming out and I'd call a plumber.

Without disagreeing with anyone, if I were trying to sleep, I could do so with a leaking tap (if it wasn't flooding my flat) but I can't sleep if I can hear a dripping tap.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not if you put a sponge under it. I figure the call to the plumber is much more than the water loss. I've been living with it for about three months now. Since I can't even change a washer, it would cost me more than I'm willing to spend to get it fixed.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Me neither ['Without disagreeing with anyone']:). But if you care to take your researches a bit further you'll find that a tap can leak from the gland nut; and - if no drips fall as a result - the tap is leaking but not dripping.

b

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
A leaking gland nut sounds like something I'd lose sleep over.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It sounds like something I'd go to hospital with.

There's a joke to be made here about the similarity between an old man and a leaking roof. Modesty forbids that I should repeat it, but reconstruction is invited as a DIY project. The key pun is 'enuretic', and depends on Edwardian Music Hall pronunciation (extreme RBP) in which stressed /æ/ makes the sound [e].

b

Status
Not open for further replies.