German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hi there it's Me again,

I did this quiz here a minute ago:

Try to do & Try doing, etc

And I found out that I have much problems with this particular part of the English grammar.

I wonder why in this case the first answer is correct:

She went on _____ the CEO a few years later. to become
becoming

Is it because there's a comma missing?

Because as far as I know if it would be the following, it would only mean that she went on and became the CEO a few years later so that would be correct also, depending on what you're trying to say, right?:

She went on, becoming the CEO a few years later.

And a last question. Is there any simple thumb rule for non-native speakers that indicates when to use the gerund or the infinitive? Or is the only way to learn it and to use it right, to learn these irritating rules.

Thank you very much in advance

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi there it's Me again,

I did this quiz here a minute ago:

Try to do & Try doing, etc

And I found out that I have much problems with this particular part of the English grammar.

I wonder why in this case the first answer is correct:

She went on _____ the CEO a few years later. to become
becoming

Is it because there's a comma missing?

Because as far as I know if it would be the following, it would only mean that she went on and became the CEO a few years later so that would be correct also, depending on what you're trying to say, right?:

She went on, becoming the CEO a few years later.

And a last question. Is there any simple thumb rule for non-native speakers that indicates when to use the gerund or the infinitive? Or is the only way to learn it and to use it right, to learn these irritating rules.

Thank you very much in advance

There is not a comma missing. You are supposed to answer using what is written, not what you think might have been written.

darkghozt18

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
My bad. What confused me was the phrase "She went on". I thought it means to go on with something instead of starting to do something. I guess a dictionary can be useful sometimes...

Thanks for your help by the way.

I guess there's no way around just learning and hoping that I'll get it someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.