Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi. This is my first post here. I'm from Brazil and I'm looking to improve my speaking and listening skills.
I've just found a nice website lyricstraining (don't know if I can post the link here) that helps with listening and understanding musics.

My question is if anyone here knows if there's a similar website but with 'general' conversation. So instead of listening to music I'd like to listen to actual people talking.

Thanks!
Fellipe

tom3m

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
NOT A TEACHER

Good evening and welcome to the forums. Rather than trying to find a website, I can recommend you watching TV in English i.e. English TV channels - BBC for example. :)

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi Fellipe,

You might also find the following sites helpful:

TED.com
intelligencesquared.org
randall's esl cyber listening lab

You can easily find them yourself. The first two offer just authentic listening with optional scripts, the last one tests comprehension as well.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Japan
Hi,
I can suggest that you find some listening practice that gives you the scripts. Listening to pure conversation without a script can be a major challenge! I am trying now in Spanish and without scripts, I am just guessing at what they are saying.
Another feature that is handy is having a target for your listening. Just listening to 'anything' is overwhelming. try searching for 'targetted english listening' or a similar search term.

-Les

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Most of the talks on TED are video + subtitles. They're very helpful and I used them a lot with my students in Spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.