Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello,

Officially missing you by Tamia is one of my favorite song.

when I listen to this song, I always want to know what 'Officially' really means in that song.

To native English speakers, it should be understood naturally but some Asian like me..

it sounds like I declare that I am missing you!!! like publicly. Yes, this is translated only by dictionary.

so that's why we got misunderstanding of the meaning. I know it is a love song so it doesn't

make sense that the heroine says so strongly also she is not in the official place either.

the other day, I already asked some pro-interpreters what that means in the context.

they answered, it should be like 'really', 'very much' or 'she is saying that I agree I'm missing you.'

so now, I would like to know what you think the nuance of the word got. :)

plus, in the lyrics, I don't really understand the usage 'Said'. (Said the every little thing you do and Said it

stays on my mind) who is the speaker saying 'said'?

it would be really appreciated if you make me understood.

below is the full lyrics.

thank you very much. :)

Hmm...

Ooh...ooh...

All I hear is raindrops, falling on the rooftop
Oh baby, tell me why'd [COLOR=#000000 !important]you[/COLOR] have to go
'Cause this pain I feel, it won't go away
And today I'm [COLOR=#000000 !important]officially[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000 !important]missing[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000 !important]you[/COLOR]

I thought that from this heartache, I could escape
But I've fronted long enough to know
There ain't no way
And today I'm [COLOR=#000000 !important]officially[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000 !important]missing[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000 !important]you[/COLOR]

Ooh, can't nobody do it like [COLOR=#000000 !important]you[/COLOR]
Said every little thing [COLOR=#000000 !important]you[/COLOR] do, hey, baby
Said it stays on my mind
And I-I'm [COLOR=#000000 !important]officially[/COLOR]...

All I do is lay around, two years full of tears
From looking at [COLOR=#000000 !important]you[/COLOR]r face on the wall
Just a week ago [COLOR=#000000 !important]you[/COLOR] were my baby
Now I don't even know [COLOR=#000000 !important]you[/COLOR] at all, I don't know [COLOR=#000000 !important]you[/COLOR] at all

Well, I wish that [COLOR=#000000 !important]you[/COLOR] would call me right now
So that I could get through to [COLOR=#000000 !important]you[/COLOR] somehow
But I guess it's safe to say, baby, safe to say
That I-I'm [COLOR=#000000 !important]officially[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000 !important]missing[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000 !important]you[/COLOR]

Ooh, can't nobody do it like [COLOR=#000000 !important]you[/COLOR]
Said it stays on my mind
And I-I'm [COLOR=#000000 !important]officially[/COLOR]

Well, I thought I could just get over [COLOR=#000000 !important]you[/COLOR], baby
But I see that's something I just can't do
From the way [COLOR=#000000 !important]you[/COLOR] would hold me
To the sweet things [COLOR=#000000 !important]you[/COLOR] told me
I just can't find a way to let go of [COLOR=#000000 !important]you[/COLOR]

Ooh...can't nobody do it like [COLOR=#000000 !important]you[/COLOR]
Said it stays on my mind
And I-I'm [COLOR=#000000 !important]officially[/COLOR]...

It's official
Hoo, [COLOR=#000000 !important]you[/COLOR] know that I'm missin' [COLOR=#000000 !important]you[/COLOR], yeah, yes
All I hear is raindrops, oh, yeah
And I-I'm [COLOR=#000000 !important]officially[/COLOR] missin' [COLOR=#000000 !important]you[/COLOR]

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

I am 75 years old. So I do not listen to that kind of music.

I am happy, however, that you love that song. (My favorite song is "Angel Baby" from the 1960's.)

Well, after reading the lyrics several times, I would interpret "officially" as something like definitely.

That is, she had hopes that the dude would return to her, but she now realizes -- and definitely accepts -- the

brutal truth: He ain't returning! ("Ain't," of course, is bad English.) In other words, it is OFFICIAL. The romance is

over because an authority has made a decision. And who is this authority? Why, it must be Life / Destiny / Karma /

Fate, etc.

James

P.S. My finger is on the delete button. As soon as some young dude (male or female) tells me that I do not know what I am talking about, I shall click it.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
thank you very much for your answer^^

There's no need for you to say "thank you" in separate posts, apink. Simply click on the "like" button (right-hand corner of the message) if you found the answer useful/clarifying (or simply to acknowledge the time taken to post the answer).

(Perhaps you should edit your profile: either you speak Javanese or you are from Japan - or you speak Japanese and are from Javan - or... ;-))

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There's no need for you to say "thank you" in separate posts

I have been a member for almost three years. So I know that many members agree with you.

Well, may I exercise my freedom of speech by respectfully disagreeing.

I believe that a "like" is the minimum that a thread starter should give to people who have worked very hard to

answer a question.

It is very nice if the thread starter wants to add an additional note of thanks.

After all, this is the Web. There is no paper to waste. So why not post a little note of gratitude?

Many older people complain that today's younger generation does not express enough gratitude. And then

when they do, some people admonish them.

Until usingenglish.com officially (!!!) forbids thank-you notes, I for one hope that thread starters will continue to post them.

James

Disclaimer: The above, of course, is only my opinion.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I have been a member for almost three years. So I know that many members agree with you.

Well, may I exercise my freedom of speech by respectfully disagreeing.

I believe that a "like" is the minimum that a thread starter should give to people who have worked very hard to

answer a question.

It is very nice if the thread starter wants to add an additional note of thanks.

After all, this is the Web. There is no paper to waste. So why not post a little note of gratitude?

Many older people complain that today's younger generation does not express enough gratitude. And then

when they do, some people admonish them.

Until usingenglish.com officially (!!!) forbids thank-you notes, I for one hope that thread starters will continue to post them.

James

Disclaimer: The above, of course, is only my opinion.

Whilst I agree with the basis for your argument as far as appreciation being sadly lacking in this day and age, I'm afraid I must disagree with you on this particular aspect of it. I only have a certain amount of time available to devote to this website and I want to make the best use of that time. When I go to the main page of the forum, the first thing I do is glance down the list at all the threads showing a green tick, indicating that I have taken part. If the bold font indicates that there has been a new post in that thread since I last looked, I click on the thread. I am always disappointed if I find that the new post is a thank you, and not an actual continuation of the thread. As far as I am concerned, it is a waste of my time to spot the green tick, the bold font, click on the thread, scroll down to the latest post, only to find that it simply says "Thank you", then I have to scroll back up to the top of the page, click on Ask A Teacher again and wait for the main page to load. I'm aware that one of the things that this generation is accused of (along with a lack of appreciation) is a lack of patience. Well, in this regard, I am one of those people. In the time it takes me to click through to and read a "thank you" response, I could have entered a proper response to another thread.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands

I disagree with you. The moderators certainly encourage members to use the "like" button instead of posting a separate "thank you", see this reply that Rover_KE has posted many, many times:

Your thanks are appreciated, but you don't need to send them in a separate post or to quote our replies back to us.

We are all happy to accept a simple click on the Like button as your acknowledgement of our help.

Rover:-D

See also Tdol's post:

The old system with the Thanks button has now been replaced by a link with the word Like. It serves the same purpose, so you can use it to thank someone or show agreement, etc, but has extra features- a thumb appears a the top of the page, which allow you to find popular posts in longer threads.
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/news-announcements/142822-like-new-way-say-thanks.html

Many older people complain that today's younger generation does not express enough gratitude.

The "like" button serves that purpose.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I believe that a "like" is the minimum that a thread starter should give to people who have worked very hard to answer a question.

And I very much hope they don't. As others have pointed out, opening a thread in the hope of finding a new comment or question only to find a 'thank you' can be frustrating. We do appreciate that people wish to express their gratitude, but that is what the 'like' button is for. And we know immediately that our posts have been liked, because the system informs us.

Status
Not open for further replies.