Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I was reading an article about Halloween traditions and I read these sentences where a I came across the verb To hollow out:

A jack-o-lantern is a hollowed out pumpkin with a candle burning
inside it.How did the pumpkin become associated with Halloween?
The tradition of hollowing out large turnips and placing lights inside
began with the Irish.

Now my question is this: is To empty out used with the same meaning? If it isn't what's the difference between them?
Can't we associate "empty" with a pumpkin?

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was reading an article about Halloween traditions and I read these sentences where a I came across the verb To hollow out:

A jack-o-lantern is a hollowed out pumpkin with a candle burning
inside it.How did the pumpkin become associated with Halloween?
The tradition of hollowing out large turnips and placing lights inside
began with the Irish.

Now my question is this: is To empty out used with the same meaning? If it isn't what's the difference between them?
Can't we associate "empty" with a pumpkin?
To hollow out is to create an open space where there was material of some sort. To empty out is to move things away, as in to empty out a house. "I hollowed out a pathway in the messy house" is not the same as "I emptied the messy house". One could say, "I emptied the pumpkin to create a jack-o-lantern", and it should be understandable by most people.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would tend to think of containers as being "empty" or "full." My bottle of whiskey is now empty. Luckily, I have a full blender of margaritas.

A pumpkin or gourd is what it is. It is not a container until it has been hollowed out. You could use a hollowed-out gourd as a container. Then it could be empty or full.

Status
Not open for further replies.