• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

• Post Thanks / Like

...an...

Thinking the worst they would face would be a sentence of a few weeks, it was a shock when, on August 8, each member of the group was given an 18-month prison term, a year of which they would have to serve before being granted parole.

More: Insulting the Sultan in Oman - By Peter Salisbury | The Middle East Channel

We use an + singular noun beginning with a vowel. This is not enough. It must include numbers that start in vowel letters as it being stated in the above text. Do you agree with me, people? I ask you this question because I am least educated in which I need your comments. Also, English language is full of tricks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: ...an...

What is your question? We use "an" before "18" because "eighteen" begins with a vowel sound. The rule is not that you use "an" when the word begins with a vowel, but when the word, as pronounced, begins with a vowel sound.

We say "a unicorn" because "unicorn" does not begin with a vowel sound.

We say "an MBA" because MBA is pronounced "em bee ay," beginning with a vowel sound.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: ...an...

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    What is your question?

Excellent point deserves to be focused on. I did mean that using articles must include numbers in which we could use them when we come across such occasions that being used in the aforementioned text. I think you made the picture more clear. In sum, I will pay more attention to sounds not letters. I thank your explanation. That is enough. Bless you.