Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

"Basma is not covered, she dresses modern, she used to go to court like that, and our courts are run by hardline conservatives," says a government official with close ties to the country's legal establishment. "Someone told me, ‘The minute I saw her I knew they would try to get her.' She doesn't care what people think about her, or their opinions of her, and she doesn't take no for an answer. She is against everything they stand for."

More: Insulting the Sultan in Oman - By Peter Salisbury | The Middle East Channel

Does that mean that Basma isn’t afraid of saying anything even at the cost of her life? Does that mean that she is ready to answer questions the people of Oman think ten times before thinking of saying yes or no? In other words, she is a brave woman.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It means that she is determined to get things her way. She does not accept when she is told "no" about something. She continues to fight to get what she wants.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"To refuse to take no for an answer" is a very common phrase, in BrE at least. As SoothingDave said, it means that when she is told "No" to something she wants, she refuses to accept that that is the answer and continues to fight for, or to ask for, whatever it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.