• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

The Haia give ...

The Haia give special emphasis on proficiency of the workers in foreign languages because a considerable number of the Haj pilgrims do not understand Arabic.

More: Women Haia members to enforce mixing ban | ArabNews

Then we have

What makes this incident different is the young woman’s knowledge of her rights and what the Haia is permitted to do and what not to do.

More: Saudi Women & Religious Police – Reading Between the Lines | Welcome to Haya's House

Then we have

Chief says Haia is in need of female staff

He also told the newspaper that the Haia was in need of female personnel, and hoped hiring would begin soon.

More:Chief says Haia is in need of female staff | ArabNews

Shouldn't be The Haia gives...?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: The Haia give ...

You'll find very little consistency in English when choosing whether to use the singular or plural form of verbs after these kinds of nouns. You'll see the same issue with "team", "police", "staff" etc. The author of that piece should have chosen one and stuck with it, but it's not all that surprising.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

I believe that you 100% correct.

1. "Professor" Google told me that "HAIA" means (in English): The Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice." The key word, then, is "commission."

2. Here in the States, "commission" is usually considered a singular word. (Unless, you wanted to emphasize the different

members of the commission.)

a. We might say, "The Commission on Good English has made a decision regarding the use of the subjunctive." But we might

say, "The Commission on Good English hate one another." (That is, the commission members hate ....)

3. Not only should it be "The Haia gives," but did you notice that the commission was referred to as "the Haia" three times but without the "the" in "Chief says Haia is in need of female staff." I am guessing that is newspaper headline talk for:

"The Chief says that The Haia is in need of female staff."

4. One other point: I think that Americans would be more comfortable with HAIA, not Haia. E.g., Americans refer to

NATO, while -- I believe -- some English varieties refer to Nato. Also: AIDS versus Aids.

James

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post

Hello,

I believe that you 100% correct.

1. "Professor" Google told me that "HAIA" means (in English): The Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice." The key word, then, is "commission."

2. Here in the States, "commission" is usually considered a singular word. (Unless, you wanted to emphasize the different

members of the commission.)

a. We might say, "The Commission on Good English has made a decision regarding the use of the subjunctive." But we might

say, "The Commission on Good English hate one another." (That is, the commission members hate ....)

3. Not only should it be "The Haia gives," but did you notice that the commission was referred to as "the Haia" three times but without the "the" in "Chief says Haia is in need of female staff." I am guessing that is newspaper headline talk for:

"The Chief says that The Haia is in need of female staff."

4. One other point: I think that Americans would be more comfortable with HAIA, not Haia. E.g., Americans refer to

NATO, while -- I believe -- some English varieties refer to Nato. Also: AIDS versus Aids.

James
    I would mark "Aids" as incorrect in any piece of writing. It should always be AIDS (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome).
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I would mark "Aids" as incorrect in any piece of writing. It should always be AIDS (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome).

Excellent advice.

Hopefully, the Guardian (one of your leading and most literate newspapers) will take your advice.

James

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

I agree with you, but oddly enough the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English doesn't...

AIDS - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I'm very surprised by the Guardian and the dictionary entry. I don't know why. It seems to me that consistency in English is not a priority.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

I'm very surprised by the Guardian and the dictionary entry. I don't know why. It seems to me that consistency in English is not a priority.
    As well as being the most honest and intelligent of newspapers, "The Grauniad" used to be famous for mipsrints. (Sadly there are far fewer these days)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "The Grauniad" used to be famous for mipsrints. (Sadly there are far fewer these days)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    As well as being the most honest and intelligent of newspapers, "The Grauniad" used to be famous for mipsrints. (Sadly there are far fewer these days)
    I still call it The Grauniad! Mind you, I've never read it. The back page of the Daily Telegraph was full of errors 30 years ago. I have no idea about it now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast